Going Live

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Norm, Jan 24, 2006.

1. MAESTRO

MAESTRO

apparently, some people get upset when presented with truth. And the truth is: "It does require more training, knowledge and tools to become a successful trader then a Brain Surgeon". Trust me, I know it for fact!

#41     Feb 8, 2006
  2. "I will monitor the account and shut the strategy down if the behavior is substantially different from what the testing predicts."

I think this is a bad idea. IF the strategy works consistently (and that's a BIG IF), then the worst thing you can do is interfere with it. When you backtest your data, are there any days that you might have been tempted to shut down the system?

Remember that Friday your system immediately lost $1,000? Suppose you had put the system on live that day and the first trade it made was a $1,000 loser. That's twice the amount your system made on paper the day before. However, if you had shut it down, you wouldn't have made back the $500. I think that if you are going to trade a system, you have to follow the system. You should not start ignoring signals and shutting it down when it loses a little money.

Just my opinion...

#42     Feb 8, 2006
  3. man

man

no maestro

this is not about someone telling the truth, but about someone who is telling the truth in an unnecessary rude manner. even yourself (now "maestro" right?) might have started out at some point ...

telling the truth in an arrogant manner is useless. it does not help people. you just told it to yourself i think, stroking your own shoulder ...

peace

#43     Feb 20, 2006
  4. poor boy,

Why don't we sing you the truth instead so it won't hurt you as much.

dummy kids can't trade...
    dummy kids can't trade
    don't be a fraid dummy boy
    when you blow out once
    then you blow out twice
    One day you can trade.

Hope that was polite..

#44     Feb 20, 2006
  5. nitro

nitro

What happens is that after you have been on ET for a while, you begin to notice the same posts over and over and over again. What you also notice is that of the hundreds if not thousands of posts about the same thing, few if any of these people that started them are around a year later.

The cynicism doesn't come from nowhere - it comes from traders that engage the market every day and realize what a tough game this is, even when you have a tremendous background that is helpful in system building, and have put in a huge effort.

Does that mean the questions shouldn't be asked? Hardly. But imo the response is also perfectly warranted and is precise.

nitro

#45     Feb 20, 2006
  6. man

man

now that was at least funny. just ... better avoid poetry.

#46     Feb 21, 2006
  7. man

man

nitro

in my opinion the response might be true but moreover it is perfectly useless. i would distinguish between knowledge and arrogant display of such knowledge. in the end, this is a free board, dedictaed to provide people of different quality to communicate and help each other at times. if your preference is a board with a more distinguished audience - well, better not try to find it on a forum with 50' registrations. so, maestro's posts might be perfectly right but they are displaced.

consider a newbie enters a golf club and by chance rushes into tiger woods, who frankly and truthfully tells the poor guy: "no way, you make it, no way. it took ME ten years. better leave immediately." now if that happens at the entrance of the american open, fine, if it happens in the suburbs of a midwest village, ahh, well yes, still true, but a little ... displaced? you wouldn't think, hey tiger, show him a thing or two and save your breath?

i am afraid i am still a little more human than the typical financial business pro ... . so, sorry, can't agree with the spirit of your post, though contentwise you are certainly right ... as was "MAESTRO" (can't help, some handles indicate, that i don't want to meet a person "live".)

peace

#47     Feb 21, 2006
  8. newfool

newfool

back to our regular programming, folks!

So Norm, how is your system doing today? Please keep us posted of your progress. Thx.

-fool:)

#48     Feb 21, 2006
  9. nitro

nitro

Yeah I know but still...

I guess I am not sure I follow your Tiger Woods example. Does a mans opinion change depending on his surroundings? Are you saying that someone should be more careful and more encouraing with those that are not likely to make it?

I see no difference between someone asking that question in the midwest village and the US Open. Isaac Newton was born to a farmer in the middle of nowhere. Talent knows no race, religion, money, etc.

nitro

#49     Feb 21, 2006
  10. you started this thread by saying that your wrote the trading program in easy language (tradestation) - I hope (if you are trading intrday) you are not using tradestation data - for if you are - you might have a very good program being tested on very bad data

#50     Feb 21, 2006