Going Live

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Norm, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Norm

Norm

LMeyers - I think you have me confused with someone else.

#11     Jan 24, 2006
  2. Norm,, I think you may need to paper trade this strategy live for more than a month,, say 3-6 month or more. Just to get a feel of the actual avg. intraday DD and see how your system behaves in ranging vs. trending days..

btw when you say you immediately lost $1K before you recovered some (on Fri.) how much capital do you use? What's your risks vs. rewards per trade during backtesting?

#12     Jan 24, 2006
  3. LMeyers

LMeyers

My above post was directed at Maestro. He had been unwell and away from ET for some time.

Though good luck to you as well.:)

#13     Jan 24, 2006
  4. Norm

Norm

Ripley,

I will monitor the account and shut the strategy down if the behavior is substantially different from what the testing predicts.

Yes, it is a stock trading strategy. That is what I have been successful at doing manually for several years. I will look at futures once I get the program running profitably (assuming that I do get it running profitably).

Norm

#14     Jan 24, 2006
  5. range

range

Norm,

Your system sounds fairly active., Since IRAs cannot be traditional margin accounts, you typically cannot be as active in an IRA as you can be in a taxable margin account. You may run into problems there.

#15     Jan 24, 2006
  6. Norm

Norm

Range,

That is an excellent point regarding the ability to actively trade within an IRA. I've been so busy developing the strategy that I overlooked this matter. I guess I'll have to open a non-IRA trading account for the automated strategy. I just hate having to do the accounting and taxes associated with non-IRA trading.

Thanks again.

Norm

#16     Jan 24, 2006
  7. maxpi

maxpi

Norm, you should post trades and results in this thread like a journal.

If you watch the system for awhile you will probably add code to filter on situations that you observe.

#17     Jan 24, 2006

8. Err, why not do a out-of-sample test instead of papertrading?

#18     Jan 25, 2006
  9. What stocks was your system trading on friday?

Not bad if they all were in a downtrend.

#19     Jan 25, 2006
  10. Maestro,

this is so far my most favorite post on ET, I am still shaking...
    Please more of that !

#20     Jan 25, 2006