Going fulltime dilemma

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by innovest_11, Mar 31, 2011.

1. lindq

lindq

If your results for the past few months have been mainly from the long side, you are in great danger of confusing brains with a bull market. So toss those results aside as atypical of what you will face as a full time trader.

Your concerns about boredom and jumping into trades that aren't appropriate are absolutely important concerns.

Many, many traders have been sunk trying to fight this single psychological issue. You've not yet had to face this challenge because you've not been forced to face the screen for 8 hours a day.

In short, your trading style thus far, and the market in which you've been trading, have not come close to showing you the reality of the business.

You should force yourself to stick with what you're doing until you've experienced a full market cycle of ups and downs.

#31     May 4, 2011
  2. I guess I'm going fulltime soon, wish me success, the push factor is lousy day job, thinking of getting another job, but decided what the heck, let's give day trading a shot, account now >300k

#32     May 25, 2011
  3. From reading this thread you kept asking how people don't get bored and overtrade.

Discipline! A thoroughly written out plan so you are only trading when your triggers tell you to. No " just for fun" trades or revenge trading. One day of revenge trading can do weeks/months of damage if you let it get out of hand. It isn't always easy to wrap up your day if you hit your risk limit within the first hour of trading. You must be disciplined or you will get hurt big.

If you are a smoker , overeat, over drink ect. then you may have some discipline issues that I am certain will carry over to trading.

I wish you the best!

#33     May 26, 2011