Going fulltime dilemma

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by innovest_11, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Sounds like you`ve got a good thing going on for yourself.

Why not stick around with this routine for a bit longer until you`ve built both more confidence and capital? :)

Naturally, if you`re in a position where you could get back your old job or if you are qualified in a way that you can easily get work elsewhere, that should relieve you from a lot of pressure.

If you still consider quitting, maybe you should consider asking for a leave of absence instead of quitting completely?

Good luck :)

#11     Apr 1, 2011
  2. i wish i could, but guess too risky, take small step at a time

#12     Apr 2, 2011
  3. Thanks for your reply, i guess my main hurdle if i stop day job is, i have to take out 6k every month from my account, 1 year will cost me 72k...costly for my trading account

But coming back to the push factors for me to consider fulltime:
    1) Health factor, i have been getting not enough sleep, 6 hrs + -, getting weak and sick often
    2) Time to do my own stuff: this is tricky, i did tried for 3 months no pay leave, and somehow my trading don't turn out well, overtrading and too much time, and all those activities i planned out before, did not carry out those, instead, waste too much time surfing net and very quickly, the whole day gone, but if stay in day job, it can be quite stressful, not enough sleep and loads of work to do.......

#13     Apr 2, 2011
  4. The assessment of your monthly nut shows you are aware of and concerned about what can go wrong with a full time trading career. I would think 200k is too small to expect to throw off enough profit to cover taxes and then a 6k monthly nut, especially as you are already questioning your ability to do so!

Here are some more questions to ask yourself:
    Do you fully understand why your trading results have gone from 'mediocre' to '3 to 5 times' your job salary?
    Is your performance repeatable?
    Are you confident of that?
    If so, then are you confident you have sufficient capital to trade as a professional?

The above, along with some of the good advise in other posts to you, should not dampen your zeal to succeed, just open your eyes WIDE.

#14     Apr 2, 2011
  5. Lost abt -10k last week, so this month will be a test for me whether my trading result is consistent...

#15     Apr 9, 2011
  6. Epic

Epic

Not much sense in quitting your job unless it is costing you too much to keep it. IMO

#16     Apr 10, 2011
  7. dalen

dalen

Sorry but if you have to ask other people these questions and can't answer them yourself, then no don't quit your day job. Best of luck

#17     Apr 10, 2011
  8. U are so right, I need to work on these issues

#18     Apr 10, 2011
  9. Humpy

Humpy

A lotta good advice above but ............

imho it largely depends on your own character and circumstances. If you have a problem deciding then consult the wife, kids etc They will probably have a more unbiased insight and be more forgiving if you blow the lot !!

:confused:

#19     Apr 10, 2011
  10. One thing I cannot answer is that I cannot 100% confirm that I will get a fixed income every month, it is a business which is unpredictable, though I quite confident, so she seems not so comfortable with the idea that I may have a loss month or months

#20     Apr 10, 2011