Going Full-time, please advise

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by venturerider2, Oct 28, 2007.

1. BWitt

BWitt

Sound like what you're asking for is where to go to get good training. Here's what I'd do (although it may not fit your personality...), go down to the NYMEX and stop into one of the surrounding bars. There are always traders hanging out after work, and I guarantee that some will be willing to talk to you about trading, how they got started, and maybe of any prop firms they know of (although there will be others that will tell you throw yourself in front of a cab, just be prepared).

FYI, last thing, I would strongly advise AGAINST throwing $50k into a futures acct. The best futures traders I know began trading 1 and 2 lots, requiring margin of around $5k. $50k would allow you to trade roughly 20 S&P minis....probably best to take away that temptation of going in and taking a big position, atleast while you're learning. $10k in a futures acct is sufficient if you're going to strike out on your own.

#31     Oct 29, 2007
  2. Jaxon

Jaxon

venturerider2, Good luck in your trading! I think the best way to answer your questions is to call firms and ask them directly. The answer will likely vary from firm to firm. Somewhere on this forum is a thread that contains a list (with links) of so-called prop firms, although many of them are leverage providing retail brokerages. Sometimes the line between that and "prop" firms gets very fuzzy. Here is one, in NY that I would look into if I were interested in commuting into the city:

http://www.chimeracapital.com/index.html

I would also call Don Bright (or pm him and see if he would reply in this thread)

I have been trading from home for the past several months and enjoy the benefits of being here, but the isolation is getting to me and I may soon research nearby office sharing options.

#32     Oct 29, 2007
  3. Tom631

Tom631

Hi,

How does one "look into futures trading"?
    Where does one start?

#33     Oct 30, 2007
  4. Tom631

Tom631

Sorry that I can't help answer your questions as I am not a trader but trying to learn. But after reading both of your post I think getting out of the house to trade will be a good thing...Even if it means you getting an office by yourself...

Good luck in your career change..
    I would bet you're going to do well!

#34     Oct 30, 2007