going from office to trading at home

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by mrmoose, May 2, 2012.

1. Don't come to ET too often, and don't fap more than once a day. :)

Kidding aside,

The freedom is worth it, get a gym membership,see friends, go fishing, movies, go out for lunch, do lawn/landscaping/gardening, go to park, you must have hobbies that involve getting out and moving around, go do them.

Make a routine to get out otherwise you'll lose touch with "people" although sometimes it's nice not to have to sit in traffic and deal with idiots. Instead you can find them right here on the internet :)

All the best

#11     May 2, 2012
  2. If I am to continue as a trader, I need to actually get myself an office and get out of the house as soon as I can afford it. At least that`s the plan.

Even as a lone wolf who enjoys my solitary time, I still feel I miss something when sitting home. I want a hot secretary to flirt with and I like seeing people, although I don`t necessarily want to talk with them. :)

#12     May 2, 2012
  3. gmst

gmst

spot on comment. Even if someone is trading from home, setting up a separate and very serious home office is a must for successful trading.

I haven't completely read Prince of the Pits. But in its first few chapters, the guy talks in depth about having a good trading chair and a good way to start your day. I think those little things make a disproportionate amount of difference as far as determining one's trading success is concerned.

#13     May 2, 2012
  4. Enjoy it. It's that simple. Most things have a good side to them and find what it is about this dynamic pleases you. It might be a nooner with the wife or girl friend or some caviar and a glass of wine mid afternoon as you trade once a week. Or all of the above. Being businesslike is about being responsible not trying to replicate your prop life in the new situation. Hell, Churchill ran the war from his bed most mornings! Not recommended for us mere mortals but you can run a serious business, make serious money yet recognize that a little flexibility in life can, for certain people, be a reasonable approach. If you need a ton of structure build it in. If you don't build in the amount you need and float with the rest.

It is all too easy to see the new paradigm as problematic yet in fact it is what you make it. Be smart enough to make it something you enjoy that also meets or even exceeds your financial goals. The concepts are not mutually exclusive.

#14     May 2, 2012
  5. silk

silk

What firm did you join?

#15     May 2, 2012
  6. BSAM

BSAM

Correct.
    Personal freedom (that includes freedom from office politics and dopes in general) is one of the high points of trading from home.

I guess I'm more of a maverick/lone wolf than some here, but from my experience, I'd never trade in an office.
    ('Sides, I, long ago, got tired of people telling me what to wear, how to act, and what time I needed to be somewhere.)

My trading uniform is shorts and a t-shirt?
    Can you beat that in an office environment???

But, a person has to do what seems best for himself.

I subscribe to the old adage that you can't choose your kinfolks, but you can choose your friends (and sometimes co-workers).
    Personally speaking, I have had more than enough of office politics.

The more experience you get in life, the less you need other humans.
    Yet, if we all met up, I could be the life of the party; but, it's only when I want to be.

I'm just spoiled, huh?? LOL

#16     May 2, 2012
  7. yep.

pajamas work for forex ..........:)

s

:cool:

#17     May 2, 2012
  8. mrmoose

mrmoose

so far I like it trading wise, I seem to not be somewhat clearer than when I am not dealing with other people. I appreciate the input. I do need to watch what I eat and find some other outlets. I am hoping to schedule a non trading activity during lunch that will get me out of the house.

#18     May 2, 2012
  9. BSAM

BSAM

Moose...I'm interested in your experience, but I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.
    Are you saying you can concentrate better at home, alone?

#19     May 2, 2012
  10. What markets do you trade?

#20     May 2, 2012