god told me to post this here

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gordon Gekko, Nov 4, 2003.

1. I see you just changed your handle back to repost this, John Doe.

You do like playing games, don't you. Very mature GG, very mature.

#31     Nov 4, 2003
  2. Wow, I thought you were more logical than this. How did you come up with this conclusion? It says both in the old and new testament that you can not "test" God. This wasn't sincere prayer to help someone, but a scientific study to see if prayer is effective. This is "testing God."

Prayer isn't some machine that you put a nickel in and get a piece of chocolate. You can't treat it like a science experiment. Prayer goes deeper than folding one's hands at night and speaking softly.

If you can't draw a better conclusion than the one you just presented, then I can only pray that you grow more brain cells.

#32     Nov 4, 2003
  3. It is difficult to reason with Axe on these issues, he is a failed theist, and has a sour grapes cloud over his faculties in this arena.

It is amusing of course, that most failed theists are 100% certain they quit their faith at the right time.....

Ask them to specualte that perhaps they might have given up their faith just when it was darkest before the dawn, and that a winner doesn't quit but expends their last ounce of energy trying, and the failed theist will have a very strong emotional response. They have no choice but to defend their failure with faith as a sour grapes position, for anything else triggers the old wounding.

A rational response of one who decided no longer to practice faith would be: "I don't know what would have happened if I had continued with my faith, it may be true that I gave up too soon. It is impossible to know."

#33     Nov 4, 2003
  4. So in other words.... another theist here admits
    that prayer is useless.

Thanks for clarifying what we already knew :D

peace

axeman

#34     Nov 4, 2003
  5. "If you can't draw a better conclusion than the one you just presented, then I can only pray that you grow more brain cells. "

A typical Ad Hominem attack from a theist with no ground to stand on.

Every time you pray and ask for anything, you are testing
    prayer. If we are to believe the theologians in the article,
    then prayer is useless.

peace

axeman

#35     Nov 4, 2003
  6. how do you know the prayers were not sincere?! THEY WERE PRAYING FOR PATIENTS IN A HOSPITAL!!!
    weak.

#36     Nov 4, 2003
  7. And you said you put me on ignore and did not have time for such things.

Such is the value of one's word.

By the way I made no such admission that prayer is useless. A certain style of prayer seems redundant to me for those who have faith, but that is just my point of view, I don't speak with or from authority. Such style of prayer may have great value in the development of a relationship with God, I cannot say.

In adition, I don't know know who the "we" are that already knew something. There is a contingency of "we" who have strong opinions, but are lacking knowledge on the issue, yet not lacking in faith that their opinion is the correct one.

#37     Nov 4, 2003
  8. "It is difficult to reason with Axe on these issues, he is a failed theist, and has a sour grapes cloud over his faculties in this arena. "

FALLACY: Poisoning the well. Strike 1 for you.

"It is amusing of course, that most failed theists are 100% certain they quit their faith at the right time....."

An empty assertion: Strike 2 for you.

"Ask them to specualte that perhaps they might have given up their faith just when it was darkest before the dawn, and that a winner doesn't quit but expends their last ounce of energy trying, and the failed theist will have a very strong emotional response. They have no choice but to defend their failure with faith as a sour grapes position, for anything else triggers the old wounding."

Fallacy: More poisoning the well. Strike 3.

"A rational response of one who decided no longer to practice faith would be: "I don't know what would have happened if I had continued with my faith, it may be true that I gave up too soon. It is impossible to know." "

Oh I see. So by your reasoning, you should not have stopped
    believing in the tooth fairy, because if you had tried long enough,
    you MAY have discovered the tooth fairy is real. LMAOOO :D

This begs the question: WHY did anyone believe in the first
    place without a rational reason? My excuse: My parents
    crammed it into my head before I was old enough to reason
    and think on my own.

So I ask you.... WHAT is your rational for believing in god?

peace

axeman

#38     Nov 4, 2003
  9. congrats to axe for becoming a "failed theist." the world needs more like him.

#39     Nov 4, 2003
  10. I am not surprised that you gather with, admire, and perhaps emulate the failures of others.

#40     Nov 4, 2003