God moves in malicious ways

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, May 4, 2012.

1. stu

stu

Which is veering toward another at least inferior form of morality, if not another wholly immoral one.
    Morality because of a threat is hardly morality at all.

#31     May 4, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

Actually, the fear of pain and death (whatever their cause) is the only reason for morality.

#32     May 4, 2012
  3. IOW: negative consequences

Funny how morals do that eh?

#33     May 4, 2012
  4. So says the guy who believes it's all due to randomness.

#34     May 4, 2012
  5. stu

stu

Moral standards stand distinct from suffering pain and death. That's the point of them, it’s how things like that can be deemed immoral, and the threat of those three things in the name of morality is more aligned to terrorism, not a "greater" morality.

#35     May 5, 2012
  6. Well then..... How about the guy who won a large injury settlement. Insurance co could not prove he was faking the injury. Afterwards the lawyers said something to the effect, they will "watch" him the rest of his life to disprove the injury. The man replied as soon as I leave this courtroom I'm going to Lourdes and you will witness a miracle. I will be cured.

#36     May 5, 2012
  7. Morality is relative, no?

One must understand that to get to the bottom of religion, I think.

Warrior cultures thru history, Vikings, Zulu, Mongols, Spartans, had a different moral culture than we may have today.

#37     May 5, 2012
  8. stu

stu

Establishing fundamental clear moral standards, is the morality.
    To then merely excuse the very same moral standards, and only because of arbitrary religious contradictions as Ricter suggests, where an imaginary God concept is allowed to trivially ignore them to present a narrative in the style of a terrorist's threat, is not a description of "greater" morality.
    Adhering to moral standards IS morality. Not adhering to them is NOT "greater" morality, it is the very definition of immorality.

I thank you.

#38     May 5, 2012
  9. who were you thanking?

#39     May 5, 2012
  10. I think he was thanking the flying spaghetti monster for creating the universe.

#40     May 5, 2012