God is...

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by studentofthemarkets, Jul 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    #131     Sep 8, 2021
  2. An excerpt from a book by R.A. Torrey...the person whose writings helped me a lot when a young believer. A free copy of the book can be found here: http://www.gilpublications.com/ebooks/ebook_hof_03_torrey_fullness.pdf

"Suppose you have a skeptic to deal with, and you wish that man to have faith. What will you do with him? Give him a book on Christian evidences? I have nothing to say against books on Christian evidences, but there is an inspired book on Christian evidences, and it is worth all the libraries ever written on this subject. Turn to John 20:31: But these are written that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. Clearly, then, this book of John was given that, through what is written therein, men, “might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing they might have life through his name. The Gospel of John is an inspired book on Christian evidences. What, then, shall we do with ourselves if we are skeptics? What shall we do with others? First, find out whether their will is surrendered or not. If any man willeth to do his will, he shall know of the teaching, whether it be of God, or whether I speak from myself. (John 7:17 (RV)) After the will is surrendered, just say, “Take this book and read it thoughtfully and honestly and come back and tell me the result.” The result is absolutely sure.

There is no man, agnostic, infidel, or whatever you please, whose will is surrendered to The Power of the Word of God - 17 - the truth, who will take this book to God and ask Him to give him light, who will not come out believing in Jesus as the Christ, the Son of God. I have tried this with I know not how many men and women, and there has never been one exception to the rule laid down by Christ. It has always come out the same way.

The faith that gets the victory over the world, the flesh and the devil, the faith that wins mighty victories for God, is also through the Word. (1 John 5:4; Ephesians 6:16; Hebrews 11:33, 34)

Very early in my ministry I read a sermon by Mr. Moody. In it there was something to the effect that a man would not amount to anything if he had not faith. I said: “That sermon is true. I must have faith.” I went to work and tried to work up faith. I did not succeed a bit. The more I tried to work up faith, the less I had. But one day I ran across this text: Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17), and I had learned the great secret of faith, one of the greatest secrets I have ever learned. I commenced to feed my faith on the Word of God, and as I have thus fed it, it has kept on growing from that day to this. So in every aspect we see that faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God. If we are to have faith—and if we are to have power for God we must have faith—we must feed steadily, largely, daily upon the Word of God.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    #132     Sep 12, 2021
    userque likes this.
  3. Two excerpts from the book by R.A. Torrey found here: http://www.gilpublications.com/ebooks/ebook_hof_03_torrey_fullness.pdf

But there is one thing that separates between man and God, that is sin. We read in Isaiah, Behold, the Lord’s hand is not shortened that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear; but your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you that he will not hear. (Isaiah 59:1, 2)

-------------------

1. First of all, the blood of Christ is a propitiation for sin.
    In Romans 3:25 (RV), we read: Whom God set forth to be a propitiation, through faith, by his blood, to show his righteousness, because of the passing over of the sins done aforetime, in the forbearance of God. In the earlier verses of this chapter Paul has proven all men to be sinners, every mouth is stopped, all the world is seen to be guilty before God. But God is holy, a God who hates sin. God’s hatred of sin is no play hatred. It is real, it is living, it is active. It must make itself manifest somehow. God’s wrath at sin must strike somewhere. What hope then is there for any of us; for we have “all sinned and come short of the glory of God?” In the 25th verse God gives us his own answer to this tremendously important question. There is hope for us because God himself has provided a propitiation, the shed blood of Christ. God has set forth Christ to be a propitiation, through faith, by his blood. The wrath of God at sin strikes on Him instead of striking on us. Of this great truth the Prophet Isaiah got a glimpse several hundred years before the birth of Christ. All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned everyone to his own way and the Lord hath laid (literally, made to strike) on him the iniquity of us all. (Isaiah 53:6)

The first power of Christ’s blood is as a propitiation for sin, affording a mark for and satisfying God’s holy wrath at sin. He is “our Passover” (1 Corinthians 5:7) and when God sees His blood He will pass over and spare us, sinners though we are. (Compare Exodus 12:13, 23) This propitiation is chiefly for the believer, a propitiation through faith. All of God’s wrath at the believer’s sins is fully appeased or satisfied in the blood of Christ. What a wonderfully comforting thought it is, when we think how often and how greatly we have sinned, and then think how infinitely holy God is, how He hates sin, to think that God’s wrath has already been fully appeased in the shed blood of His own Son, the propitiation which He himself provided! The blood of Christ in a certain measure avails for all, for unbelievers as well as for believers, for the vilest sinner and the most stubborn unbeliever and blasphemer. In 1 John 2:2 (RV), we read: And He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the whole world. By the shed blood of Christ a basis is provided upon which God can deal in mercy with the whole world. All of God’s dealings in mercy with man are on the ground of the shed blood of Christ. God’s dealings with those who ridicule the doctrine of the atonement, God’s dealings with Voltaire, Tom Paine and Colossians Ingersol, are all on the ground of that shed blood. All of --

God’s dealings in mercy with any man since the fall of Adam are on the ground of that shed blood. If it had not been for the shed blood, God could never have dealt in mercy with a sinner, but must have at once cut him off in his sin. If anyone asks: How then could God have dealt in mercy with sinners before Christ came and died, the answer is simple. Jesus is the Lamb that hath been slain from the foundation of the world. (Revelation 13:8) From the moment sin entered into the world God had His eyes upon that sacrifice which He himself had prepared from the foundation of the world. And in the very Garden of Eden the blood of sacrifices that pointed forward as types to the true sacrifice began to flow. It is the power of the blood which has secured to men all the merciful things God has wrought for them since sin entered. The most determined rejector of Christ owes all he has that is good to the blood of Christ.

2. Through the blood of Christ we have our redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
    Again in Ephesians 1:7 (RV), we read: We have our redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses. Forgiveness of sin is not something the believer in Christ is to look for in the future, it is something he already has. We have, says Paul, the forgiveness of our trespasses. The forgiveness of sin is not something we are to do
    something to secure. It is something which the blood of Christ has already secured, and which our faith simply appropriates and enjoys. Forgiveness has already been secured for every believer in Christ by the power of the blood.

You have heard of the old woman who lay dying. Her rector heard of it and called upon her. “They tell me,” he said, “that you are dying.” “Yes,” she replied. “And have you made your peace with God?” “No,” came the answer.” “And are you not afraid to meet God without making your peace with Him?” “Not at all,” was the answer that startled the minister. He grew earnest. “Woman, do you realize that you have but a short time to live and that you must soon meet a holy God?” “Yes, I realize it perfectly.” “And you are not afraid?” “Not at all.” “And you have not made your peace with God?” “No.” “What do you mean?” cried the astonished rector. A smile passed over the features of the dying woman. “I have not made my peace with God because I do not need to. Christ made peace more than 1,800 years ago by the blood of His
    cross (Colossians 1:20) and I am simply resting in the peace He made.” Oh, blessed is the one who has learned to rest in the peace Christ made, who counts his sins forgiven because Christ’s blood was shed and God says so! We have our redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to his grace.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    #133     Sep 12, 2021
  4. stu

stu

But there is one thing that separates between man and God, that is..
    nonexistence

The invisible and nonexistent look much alike.

The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible. Oscar Wilde

#134     Sep 13, 2021
  5. Although God is invisible, He has revealed Himself in various ways to many people. He spoke to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. He wrestled with Jacob for an entire night, and even let Jacob begin to win (kind of like when a parent lets their kid think they are winning a wrestling match). He showed Himself to Moses in a flame of fire when He proclaimed Himself as "I AM WHO I AM." He showed Himself to a pagan king, King Nebuchadnezzar, when the king saw a 4th man walking around in the flames that did not burn up the 3 men he had placed in the fiery furnace. He visited Abraham, appearing as a man. He spoke to many prophets. He spoke to Job out of the whirlwind. God the Son also revealed Himself to people by becoming a human, although He still remained God. "Who, existing in the form of God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7but emptied Himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in human likeness." Philippians 2:7

Jesus wasn't invisible while He walked this earth before His death and He is God.

God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds... Hebrews 1:1,2​

https://www.gotquestions.org/seen-God.html

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    #135     Sep 13, 2021
  6. stu

stu

Same as Batman then. He's invisible too.
    As he revealed himself in DC comics. God revealed itself in the Bible.

#136     Sep 14, 2021

7. These "secret agents for Jesus" women in the Middle East have put into practice what Jesus commanded in Mathew 5:43-47:

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’

44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,

45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?

47 And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?​

#137     Sep 18, 2021
  8. stu

stu

yet how more honourable and true it is to do those things not expecting reward, without being commanded, but rather for their own sake.

#138     Sep 18, 2021
  9. Stu, that only makes sense to someone who doesn't have a loving relationship with Jesus Christ as their Savior AND LORD.

Jesus' authority over us is unlike any other relationship we have on earth because He is our Creator. He desires our best. He loves us more than any person could love us. He builds a relationship with His own that is unique, yet wonderful. The relationships that somewhat reflect a relationship with Jesus as LORD would be like a child with a Father, and even like a wife with her husband (in a healthy, respectful, relationship...which is not seen very much in this world), and like sheep who trust their shepherd to lead them.

There are some reasons that obedience SHOULD be given to Jesus (God) that are unique to this relationship.

1. He created us, and He is the giver and taker of life.
    2. Our first parents wrongfully chose to rebel against Him, and the rest of us continue in that choice, coming under God's judgment.
    3. Jesus paid the price of our treason against Himself. Because of that, those who have trusted in Jesus and His payment for their sin and become born into His family, are truly indebted to Jesus.

I owe Him my life because He created me.
    I turned from Him and forfeited my life.
    He reconciled me back to Himself at the cost of His life, so now I owe Him my life for a second time.

And He has promised so many wonderful things to me that I WANT to have a close relationship with Him where He rules over me in kindness, love and wisdom.

He is not cruel. He is not selfish. He is ALL THAT IS GOOD. He truly cares about me and will NOT "abuse" His authority.

I actually trust Jesus more than I trust myself in all things.

Christians will suffer in this world. Sometimes it is from persecution, sometimes it is just the same suffering everyone else has to go through. God has given many promises to His own to help them get through the hard times:

Since you were precious in My sight,
    You have been honored,
    And I have loved you
    Isaiah 43:4 BSB

I have told you these things so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take courage; I have overcome the world!
    John 16:33 BSB

Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are Mine!
    Isaiah 43:1b BSB

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, yet our inner self is being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary affliction is producing for us an eternal glory that is far beyond comparison.
    2 Corinthians 4:17 BSB

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying: “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man, and He will dwell with them. They will be His people, and God Himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes,’ and there will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the former things have passed away.” And the One seated on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” Then He said, “Write this down, for these words are faithful and true.”
    Revelation 21:3-5 BSB

In Your presence is fullness of joy
    Psalm 16:11 b BSB

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a future and a hope.
    Jeremiah 29:11 BSB
    There's another reason though. Sin is an evil slave master. We have all been born into this slavery. None of us are free to be truly and always, perfectly good, as God had originally created us to be. Jesus came to set us free from the penalty of sin and, with God's help, live for God out of love and thankfulness to Him rather than for sinful pleasures.

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
    John 8:36

#139     Sep 18, 2021
  10. stu

stu

Stu, that only makes sense to someone who doesn't have a loving relationship with Jesus Christ as their Savior AND LORD.

No. It makes sense, period.

It is by definition a greater good, that doesn't seek instruction or command or hollow promises of reward.

#140     Sep 19, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.