Goals of Strategy and Backtesting all trades

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by SimpleMeLike, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Hello,

I am currently manually backtesting trades of a strategy idea.

My goal of the strategy is earn +3-4 ES pts per day and no more then 3 trades per day and no trading pass 12pm (central).

When I am backtesting and collecting data, should record data for alll possible trades setups for the intraday trading session for more data collection? Or should I backtest how I plan to trade the strategy only?

Just opinions please. I guess more data collection would be better for data analysis.

Thank you

2. xandman

xandman

You may probably want RTH and ETH. It is really all up to you.

For example, you may develop a morning session strategy based on the prior evening's momentum.

3. Thanks xandman,

Yes, I am thinking rather or not to record all trades. I can record them all and always go back analyze and review the performance of trades taken per my trading goals for the day.

4. Handle123

Handle123

More you record the better.
    Are you using breakouts? What are you protective stops, how much time are you giving trades, what patterns will negate the signals, how will huge gap openings affect your method, are you going to trade of the chart or are you trading off the DOM, what kind of patterns will shorten your exit, are you using targets, multiple contracts, are you using volume at all, indicators, if there any time limit when you get out, what will you do if you lose electric or internet?

Just a few things to have written down and should be able to answer.

5. Handle123

Handle123

Also, when paper trading, whatever you think is the fill price, enter one tick worse and if you targeting some price, market has to go one tick further, cause if two ticks going to matter, you going to have work at better entries.