Go away Irene!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LEAPup, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Macho

Macho

Did you insist on rebuilding on the sand and did you get to reinsure the property?

#11     Aug 24, 2011
  2. LEAPup

LEAPup

Oh wow! Small World! Our place was in Frisco which I'm sure you drove through being only a few miles from. And yes, Diamond Shoals has some great food. If I had known ahead of time, I would have sent you a small list of great places to eat there that aren't over priced. Buxton Seafood is a mom and pop joint that has the best crabcakes in the US imo, and The Sand Bar and Grill has "fish bites" that are usually from the morning's fresh yellowfin tuna catch, and are $8 an order. They melt in your mouth! Yum! I could go on. lol

Glad your Son was able to get married on the Island! I'm sure you all had a great time. Did he get married on Hatteras, or Ocracoke? My Wife and I were married on the beach on Ocracoke a...well, few years ago. lol

I'm cringing for this one as the bitch Isabel was BAD at a cat2, but this is a cat3 which will bring in fast moving, high storm surge that will be downright evil. We're preparing our house right now for six Friends who are leaving Hatteras now, and going to be staying with us until this evil bitch gets done doing what it's going to do...
    :(

#12     Aug 25, 2011
  3. LEAPup

LEAPup

That's a sore subject. We'd never have a place on the beach again after seeing what Isabel did to us. Never, ever again!

The Outer Banks is VERY narrow, and there just aren't any "safe" places to build once you get south of Currituck County.

I'm guessing that Ocracoke Island, Hatteras, Frisco, Avon, Buxton, Rodanthe, etc., will be harmed badly by this one. I pray my beloved Island stays strong!

#13     Aug 25, 2011
  4. LEAPup

LEAPup

Just spoke with a Friend who closed his business, boarded it up, and kissed it goodbye. Kinda sad to hear that on the other end of the phone...

I was asking about water temps, and his suspicion and mine are confirmed. The water is very warm, and that will absolutely pick up Irene's speed. He and his Wife stopped in Nags Head, and they stuck their feet in the water telling me, "oh yes, it's warm." He said a person could dive into the waves and not get that usual cold shock you get when first in the water. That's not good!:eek:

#14     Aug 25, 2011
  5. Macho

Macho

The turtles tell us what to expect during hurricane season.If they are busy laying all over the beach that is great.They have been around a lot longer than us ,so they know what is going on.

Just had the tail of Irene going through as I was typing and knocked us out for a couple of minutes (palm beach county).

We had Wilma and it was a bitch.Was not supposed to be a hurricane and sneaked up on us from the west.

#15     Aug 25, 2011
  6. LEAPup

LEAPup

Glad you've been spared the wrath of this one!:)

I usually don't care if it snows oats, but knowing a cat2 that's "just slowing" from a cat3 close to shore (according to up to date weather) is going to be a major problem for my beloved Hatteras Island. Isabel hit at a cat2, and the Island was split up about a mile below us, and our place was laying in the middle of US12 in what looked to be a million tons of sand.:(

With water temps this warm, I don't have a good outlook on this bitch called Irene.

#16     Aug 25, 2011
  7. Man, nature is a real ass sometimes..... was a bit of sad news about what you said about your friend closing shop and kissing it goodbye. That's more than enough to ruin somebody's day.

#17     Aug 26, 2011
  8. Arnie

Arnie

I've been going down there since the late '60's. Frisco used to remind me of Cocoa Beach, Fla back then. The whole Outer Banks has changed so much, for the worse, I'm afraid. You just can't imagine how different it was. We used to have to take EVERYTHING, food, booze etc.. There was nothin there save for hotels and a few convenience stores. The whole area was dry back then too,....no bars. You could brown-bag at the Orville & Wilbur Hotel. Now parts of it look like Anywhere, USA. Me and some buddies go down at least twice each year to surf fish, but even that's changing as the Park service closes more and more of the beach to 4 wheelers. Here's my prediction. If the road gets cut in half this time, I don't think the feds will let them rebuild right away, like last time. Remember that?

#18     Aug 26, 2011
  9. Boss302

Boss302

He got married on Hatteras and everything turned out great including the weather. We stayed at the Outer Banks Motel and the ocean was literally right in front of us. Makes me sad to wonder what will become of that area.

#19     Aug 26, 2011
  10. LEAPup

LEAPup

Well, they're here now and safe, and it is what is as far as his business I guess... The major problem is he said the water is way warm, and I agree. My Wife and I were on Hatteras a few weeks ago, and the water was warm then. This = high speed.:eek:

#20     Aug 26, 2011