GM's liabilities exceed assets by $42 billion, losing money. Why isn't it bankrupt?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by The Kin, Jun 20, 2008.

1. No worries as FED term lending facility is being opened up to any US based company to swap their bonds for treasuries. Printing presses running overtime.

#21     Jun 20, 2008
  2. I agree GM has to many "brands" of essentially the same vehicle. They need to boil down all the brands to a new general brand called "GMC" = "Toyota" and the up market brand "Cadillac = "Lexus"

#22     Jun 20, 2008
  3. that is a good point. The problem is, is that the cars are so damn ugly

#23     Jun 20, 2008
  4. Tums

Tums

just to name a couple...

Corvette

Pickup truck
    (BTW, GMC and Chev pickup combined sales exceeded Ford's. But because these identical trucks are branded separately, Ford gets to carry the title of "Best Selling Pickup truck".)

there are more brand equities than these 2 example... but that does not mean that I would ever own a GM again.

#24     Jun 20, 2008
  5. bighog

bighog Guest

bighog

06-20-08 07:36 PM

It was the future "projections" of the automakers cash flow that is the concern. A perfect example is the gaudy, overcooked pimped out new pickup that FORD just put on hold. It is called Platinum model i think. Who the hell needs a pickup truck with leather seats? Ok, ok, some redneck that won the LOTTO i guess.

Bottom line, with gas prices as they are and the rejection of gas guzzling SUV's and pick-em-up trucks for a CAR that gets better mileage is what the consumer wants. Problem is the auto companies have lost the "CAR" mkt to the foreign CARmakers. The profits from USA automakers will take a HUGE hit simply selling CARS that are not pimped out to the max with low profit margins.
    They made their own bed and now they are in deep dung.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W5-ZN0l9io

#25     Jun 20, 2008
  6. Looks like I'll just have to wait a few more weeks till Bankrupcy. Oil just hit a new all-time high and the fundamentals is in the shitz. Easily the worse Balance Sheet of any company in the world!

#26     Jun 26, 2008