GM's liabilities exceed assets by $42 billion, losing money. Why isn't it bankrupt?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by The Kin, Jun 20, 2008.

1. clacy

clacy

Very sad..................but they have no one to blame but themselves. And when I say "they", I mean everyone at every level. The executives, the creatives, the union workers....all of them.

#11     Jun 20, 2008
  2. what makes you think that? de-unionizing will restore them to profitability?

it won't stop them from making ugly and crappy cars

#12     Jun 20, 2008
  3. Daal

Daal

gm problem is not their cars, its the pension liabilites and debt service

#13     Jun 20, 2008
  4. clacy

clacy

I agree for the most part, but their styling, quality, etc is lagging the Europeans and Japs, in my opinion. They also had little forethought about the era of high gas prices. They put all their eggs into the SUV/Truck basket and now they're paying the price.

#14     Jun 20, 2008
  5. How can you put GM and brand equity in the same sentence? :D

#15     Jun 20, 2008
  6. Without their pension liabilities GM's a goliath.

The dollar is perma-cheap (it'll never make a material retracement) and that'll help GM in a very big way.

And I disagree with you on their products. IMO Caddy's from the trucks to the XLR to the redesigned CTS are kickass in their class. For younger folks Pontiac and Chevy are more attractive as well. It's Ford who I doubt because of product. F became a de facto truck only company and those things will never sell again with the gusto of the past decade.

#16     Jun 20, 2008
  7. cszulc

cszulc

GM is much worse off than Ford. I've bought Ford under $6.00 every time recently and sold it above $7.00. Saying that, I did buy some shares into my new position today, with anticipation to hold to above $7. At least they have positive equity as opposed to GM's -$41b equity.

#17     Jun 20, 2008
  8. clacy

clacy

I might be in the minority, but I think Ford's styling has at least improved over the past couple of years. I haven't been as impressed with GM.

#18     Jun 20, 2008
  9. piezoe

piezoe

Probably should be, but too big to fail, Taxpayer guaranteed loans are on the way.

GM has had a negative current ratio for quite some time. That's normally a sign that bankruptcy is headed your way. But GM, it can't happen. Why, because "What's good for GM is good for the Nation." And don't you forget that Pa(b)st. GM -- too big to fail and too incompetent to succeed. What a company!

P.S. How's Hillary doing? Heard a rumor she was going to wipe Obama cuz the polls were shifting fast, away from Obama. :D

#19     Jun 20, 2008
  10. Actually I was thinking about Cadillac when I called GM's cars ugly. I never liked their nouveau angular styling. And I despise the new mini-SUVs that are being badge engineered to every single GM brand.

GM's blatant badge engineering and lack of creativity/individualism among the brands is hurting sales and image.

And their idea of a fuel efficient car is an Aveo or a Cobalt XFE that gets 36mpg on the highway with some engine control hacks and a steeper gear..?

They need a miracle product to save them. Like Chrysler and the minivan in the 1980s.

Problem is, they don't have it.

I hope they pull out of their slump, pull a rabbit out of their hat, something. What's bad for GM is bad for America. If GM goes under, it bodes poorly for our economy, and as an American I want our country to be strong.

#20     Jun 20, 2008