GMAT Test Suggestions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RisingTide, Dec 18, 2006.

1. I am about to embark on taking the GMAT and I have serious doubt on whether I am fully prepared let alone the feeling that this test is over my head.

It has been over 7 years since last I took a college course and I am definitely not up to par with the high school math that I took eons ago.

I bought three study guides to help me at least refresh my math and assist in any test taking strategies:
    - Kaplan GMAT review,
    - Princeton,
    - The Official GMAT book.

My question to those who HAVE taken the GMAT test and have studied diligently for it, are,
    1) Which text book provides questions that are SIMILAR to the actual GMAT test?
    2) Did you find any questions on The Official GMAT Review, or others, to be on the ACTUAL test?
    3) Are the more difficult questions have to do with Geometry and Permutations and Combinations?
    4) Did you find the ACTUAL test to be more or less difficult than you thought?
    5) What are some test taking strategies that would help in not only preparing, but when you are actually taking the test; strategies that are mentioned in the review books but that you developed or realized as the result of studying and taking the test?
    6) Other helpful pointers and suggestions?
    7) How much time did you study for the test?
    8) Did you go to a Div I, II, III school?

For those of you who respond back, I GREATLY appreciate your genuine comments!!

Thank you

2. Download free GMATPrep software from mba.com and do a mock test to see where you stand. This will give you a pretty accurate idea of your current score +/-20 at the real test. Then study a lot and do all the practice questions in "The Official GMAT Guide" with emphasis on pace and timing. You'll be in pretty good shape if you know how to solve all the questions cold.

Also, your best GMAT resource:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/index.php

3. I took the GMAT 3-4 years ago so here is what I remember from it:

1) I used the Kaplan and Barron books. Both were similar but NOT exact to the actual test.
    2) When you sign up for the GMAT the CD they send you has a computer based test on it and if I remember correctly, that’s from a previous GMAT test. Lots of the books ask you questions from previous tests but I’m not sure about giving you the test in its entirety.
    3) Don’t remember, but the math section isn’t bad at all if you practice enough.
    4) As expected.
    5/6) I’d try to do as many on-line tests as possible. I found it hard reading off the computer screen and not being able to write on the actual test. Also make sure you do plenty of practice tests that are timed. They don’t test your knowledge, instead you’re tested on how quickly and efficiently you can come up with answers.
    7) Roughly 6 weeks, 10hr/week
    8) Rutgers

Good luck!

4. Anna is correct. Memorize the underlying logic in the GMAT book and learn to pace yourself. When you practise at home you should be able to solve a problem within 1.5 min. A higher Quant score will get you above 600. A high verbal will get you above 700. When you study, make sure you study in 80 minute blocks to get yourself accustomed to each section of the exam. Do as many timed practise tests as possible, there's a ton of stuff online. It's all about accuracy and pacing, I scored a 770 myself. My prep time was close to anna's, about 240 hours. If you don't work out physically, start getting into good physical condition. Most people get a low score because they get tired half way and can't focus right. It's a rather easy test once you have the logic down.

5. Thanks to all who have contributed

6. the test questions itself are not THAT hard. what makes it hard is the short amount of time you have to answer all the questions. unlike the SAT, you get penalized for blank answers.

the official guide books are the closest to the real test since they are REAL questions. but i feel they didnt cover the highest difficulty levels. princeton and kaplan practice tests are good practice for pacing and conditioning but they arent all that similar from the real thing. the princeton book actually has some good test taking tips but i found the kaplan book pretty much a waste of time.

GMATPrep is the way to go. that test is virtually identical to the real thing. there are only two tests so you should save the 2nd one towards the end of your study schedule.

7. There's a workaround for GMATPrep:
    http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=28548