GM

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by dealmaker, Jan 12, 2018.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

GM ride-hailing fleet would ditch steering wheel in 2019
    General Motors plans to launch public ride-hailing services with self-driving vehicles that don’t have manual controls such as steering wheels and pedals, starting in 2019. In a petition submitted to NHTSAon Thursday, GM detailed the safety features of the "Cruise AV" vehicle and asked federal officials to allow the vehicles to operate on U.S. roadways without meeting 16 Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards that cover vehicles with human drivers but aren’t necessarily applicable for autonomous vehicles.(Automotive News)

2. Overnight

Overnight

Oh BULLROAR.

Self-driving cars ain't gonna' be allowed on USA roads for at least 30 years. Remember the one huge variable in this equation...

Stupid people. Not to mention the stupid people over at the NHTSA, the FHA, the NTSB, the whatever administration over there, take your pick, there are a dozen of them, who can't figure out that spending $4,000 on a light bulb is excessive.

Doomed!

dealmaker likes this.
  3. vanzandt

vanzandt

I used to think the same thing.... but ya know whats gonna happen?
    There's going to be a whole batch of new laws. These things will be hugely protected. And if someone f's with one of them via road rage or whatever... they are going to be equipped to rat you out. And the fines will be very steep. They are going to force these things on us whether we like it or not. Shuttles, Ubers, delivery vehicles.... and heaven forbid you drive stupid around one.

And since you like Dominoes so much Mr Overnight... :

Dominos-self-driving-driverless-delivery_dezeen_01.jpg

sle likes this.
  4. Overnight

Overnight

I was reading your text gleefully until the above line. You offend me. I love and hate you now. The FACK you think I like Dominoes. You are ruining me and my head about pizza. Please stop hurting my pizza brain. Don't make me come over there!

5. vanzandt

vanzandt

6. dealmaker

dealmaker

7. dealmaker

dealmaker

GM Cuts

GM is expected to announce today that it is shuttering an assembly plant in Ontario, Canada, with the potential loss of 2,500 jobs. The automaker, which has operated the Oshawa plant for the last 65 years, apparently told local unions yesterday that it "will make a major announcement [on Monday] that will impact its global operations." CBC

8. dealmaker

dealmaker

9. Banjo

Banjo

10. dealmaker

dealmaker

The UAW’s first strike in more than a decade could cost GM $100m a day
    Yesterday, 46k members of the United Automobile Workers (UAW) unionwent on strikeat General Motors.

It’s the first UAW walkout since 2007, and it could have a big impact -- both on GM and its partners. Here’s what you should know.

Workers at 30 factories in 10 states say GM has been greedy
    The UAW also represents employees who work at Ford and Fiat Chrysler... but the union specifically chose to attack GM for prioritizing profits over ’ployees. Over the past 3 years, General Motors made $35B -- but last year the automaker closed 4 factories.

The UAW demands GM improve wages, reduce the pay gap between new and existing employees, and reopen an Ohio factory that recently closed.

On the other side of the picket line, GM has offered $7B in investments in US plants, 5.4k new jobs, and salary and benefit increases.

So far, the 2 sides are stuck in a gridlock.

Now what?
    Expertspredictthat GM’s profits will drop by between $50m and $100m each day the strike continues (shares in GM dropped 4% yesterday).

But striking workers will feel the pinch, too: Workers are still paid during the strike -- but only strike wages of $250/week.

Past UAW strikes have lasted as long as 3 days.

But the size of these strikes has decreased over time as union membership has fallen: The UAW represented 177k GM employees in a 1996 strike; 73k in a 2007 strike; and fewer than 50k this year.

#10     Sep 17, 2019