GM - Why is there any value left to their stock?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by chsbla, Dec 17, 2008.

1. chsbla

chsbla

right, but thats not why i started this thread.

I wanted to discuss the reasons why one would not want to get short/puts on the common when we all know that there will be massive equity dilution with a bailout/debt for equity swap.

#11     Dec 17, 2008
  2. Daal

Daal

m22au
    I think GM stock will be destroyed in most scenarios
    -bankrutpcy(stock goes to zero)
    -creditors swap debt for equity(massive dillution)
    -government bailout(paulson said the difference is when there is the possiblity of private capital coming in, in those cases like in C, they dont wipe out shareholders, in GM there is no possibility so using paulson as a guide I think they get crushed)

#12     Dec 17, 2008
  3. Never under estimate the stubbornness of the gamblers. They'll hold and double down to the bitter end.

#13     Dec 17, 2008
  4. m22au

m22au

I'll raise my hand and confess to being long the JAN 2009 $6 puts.

Pointing out the obvious, its important to keep in mind that there is a lot of time premium in GM puts.

That's why I took the opportunity to sell the JAN 2009 $2.50 put in a 1:1 ratio against my holding of $6 puts.

#14     Dec 18, 2008
  5. m22au

m22au

Thanks Daal.

I think one of the Congress plans mentioned giving the Treasury warrants to the value of 20% of the loan size.

So if we assume a loan size of 14 billion, the Treasury would get 2.8 billion of warrants. At a share price of $4, this represents roughly 50% dilution, so a theoretical share price would be about $2.

We'll wait and see, the latest media reports make it sound like some progress is being made, and my gut instinct tells me that the bailout will be finalised before Christmas.

For the gamblers out there, the December 2.50 puts are offered at 8 cents - could be a lazy 25 bagger if the stock declines to 50 cents before expiration tomorrow.

#15     Dec 18, 2008
  6. chsbla

chsbla

lol someone just let something leak about the talks. stock is down 12% to 3.80.
    its prob on the chrysler rumor being nixed. lol glad to be long these puts

#16     Dec 18, 2008
  7. Yep, looking like a gut punch for the UAW. Bush wants a orderly BK. This won't sit well at all.
    Chrysler is done either way. They've shutdown for a month and my guess is they'll never open those plants again under the Chrysler name. If they merge with GM, maybe 6 of those 30 plants will open again.

#17     Dec 18, 2008
  8. GM even with potential bankruptcy there is still the hope of new intervention... either way i hope im righ i just went long today

#18     Dec 18, 2008