GM - how long before bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by capmac, Sep 1, 2005.

1. If you take care of a car and properly maintain it then it will last a long time. I drove a Chevy Cavalier for several years. Bought it with 96K and sold it at 145k for $100 less than I paid for it. The only maintenace I did was routine stuff such as oil changes, brakes, coolant flushes, transaxle fluid flush, fuel filter, tune-up and replaced a leaky valve cover gasket. All told not too bad for a car that got 35 mpg on the highway.

Granted there are a few cars that are just bad to begin with, who knows maybe they were Monday cars when the workers were hung over from a hard weekend partying. but over all all of the GM adn Ford cars that me and my family have owned have supprisingly been lees of a maintenace problem than some of the JApaneese cars we all have owned.

It basically all comes down to how hard to you drive, and how well do you maintian the car. Follow the general rule of if you take care of your car, it will take care of you. Now Iwill say that I used to drive a late 80's Dodge that was truly a POS.

#71     Sep 6, 2005
  2. balda

balda

3. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

There is no incentive for GM to design a better quality car when their UAW employees make more money than their engineers do.

No wonder GM makes an inferior car or truck. I've owned American cars in the past, but had major problems with them. Remember the Fiero, I had one of those POS and it was the worst car I've ever owned. I told myself there is no way that I'm going to buy another American car after owning that. No wonder GM stopped building it.

Since 1986 I've owned only Japanese cars and can say that I'm very happy with the engineering and quality of these vehicles.

#73     Sep 8, 2005
  4. MRWSM

MRWSM

American cars became better when they started using electronic ignition and fuel injection in the 80's. Carbereuters and points were never too reliable. But then again that's when they all started getting better. You guys remember 1970's Toyotas? Probably not, because they were a freak show, uglier than their current models. You don't see any 1970's jap mobiles on the road these days, because they didn't survive long enough. Although 1970's american cars are still seen here and there, showing they were more durable even back then.

http://www.safecarguide.com/gui/new/usedcars.htm

paragraph from link above:

American cars tend to be among the best used-car values because they provide more car for the money. While many people think American cars are not as good those from Japanese automakers, it's just not true. That assumption, however, helps American cars depreciate more quickly and makes them better used-car values -- a lower price for more features. Structurally and mechanically, American cars are some of the most durable cars in the world. In addition, they are often less expensive to repair, with lower-priced parts, and repair facilities more common than those for foreign makes.

#74     Sep 8, 2005
  5. MRWSM

MRWSM

Cadillac for sale with 370,000 miles.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...2000&isp=y&pager.offset=25&lang=en&cardist=21

I tried looking for toyotas with over 300,000 miles and there were none, in fact I couldn't even find any over 200,000 miles. Also toyotas are easier to search because you just enter toyota and I went back to 1997. While GM you need to enter each division separately much harder but yet cars over 200,000 are very common. Why aren't there any toyotas over even a measly 200,000 miles? Probably because they don't normally survive that long or they turn into pumpkins at 200k.

#75     Sep 9, 2005
  6. I shit on your link. Not only would I not believe it, but no where on there does it say 370,000 miles. hahahah!

Plus what kind of a loser trader are you racking up 300,000+ miles on your car. Don't you have a life? I have not driven more than 50,000 miles in my life!

#76     Sep 9, 2005
  7. MRWSM

MRWSM

Read the body of the ad, 370k miles. I used to own a building company and drove the cars steady.

#77     Sep 9, 2005