GM - how long before bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by capmac, Sep 1, 2005.

1. very good explanation. imho hybrids are the next evolution until a commercially viable fully electric car can be produced.

#21     Sep 1, 2005
  2. MRWSM

MRWSM

There's a lot of fuel cell companies that would like to disagree with you. Either way I would love to see oil become absolete some day.

#22     Sep 1, 2005

3. I am sure the technology is out there that cars could run on alt fuels (maybe piss I don't know). I think you have some of that right, it is all based on capitalism, exactly, now think who loses out if alt fuel really kicks into the mainstream and oil/gas consumption is cut in 1/2 or 1/4 or worse!! We are not talking about some people losing millions, the Saudis are Trillionaires alone!! That buys more clout, influence and sheer power than anyone on this forum can fathom. Not to mention you have an Oil family running the show at the White House. Even if we had an imaginable third party at the helm there still wouldn't be enough power to stop that greed machine. Greed begets greed and oil fat cats are used to making billions a year, they will do everything in their scope to see that continues. My feelings are that the oil elite will (or are currently) be buying alt fuel companies for future investments/dynasties.

As far as GM's future, I like most think it's dismal at best. They are on a one way path to suicide. The only commercials I am seeing these days are the new Suburban they are so proud of. I can't believe they are actually trying to market it mpg, it's an 8 cyl SUV for Christs sake! So it gets 17 mpg instead last years 16 mpg model, who cares! The marketing dept at GM is punch drunk from the competition and this proves it. What are they thinking? LMAO!! Why on earth would they be spending advertising dollars on a dying Full size SUV market?? Not to mention record gas prices = shit scared buying public. These guys are always behind the curve, Toyota has stated numerous times that their hybrids are beating sales expectations for a couple years now...Hello GM? (knock,knock) Anybody home? Guess what hybrids are not a passing fad.
    If GM would be proactive instead of reactive (I don't even know if you can call it reactive, more like ignoring) they might have a shot. I think their corporate culture/ideology is just terrible and they have no one to blame but themselves for their problems. All that being said, GM will probably never go bankrupt as the American taxpayer will be left holding the bag, sad, very sad. :(

Also, with regards to quality, I live outside of the USA and the people here will not touch American cars because the quality just isn't there, here Jap cars rule the roads. Sorry for writing a book.

#23     Sep 1, 2005
  4. MRWSM

MRWSM

When I see someone boasting of 40 MPG from a little coffee grinder car it makes me wonder. I have a 2000 Bonneville with 130,000 miles and I get 34 MPG on long trips with 5 large people inside. My car has never seen a dealer or mechanic besides a recall. You sure are sacrificing a lot for that 6 MPG. You would think that if a full size sedan can get 34 MPG that a little car half the size should get 70 MPG but it's not like that.

#24     Sep 1, 2005
  5. NKNY

NKNY

I agree....They must reinvent themselves or they will go the way of the dinosaur....

Consumers today are far more educated then past generations...the " I buy american" mentality is dead. Today it's I buy quality. No more will us auto makers milk me with a barrage of never ending auto part replacements.

although I do like the caddy CTS.... .... :D

Nick

#25     Sep 1, 2005
  6. You are perfectly right: automakers derive much of their profits from sellling part replacement.

I had an Alfa Romeo buisness back in the late '80s and the sale of auto parts kept me in buisness.

Altought not for long.

#26     Sep 1, 2005
  7. 34mpg on long trips

i probably can top 44 on long trips. my 40-44mpg is on 25mile communte to santa monica through downtown LA every day.

yours is a 2000. it's barely used. i bot my car used when it was like your car's age. you have a pontiac... hehe.... good luck...

#27     Sep 2, 2005
  8. MRWSM

MRWSM

They have not improved small cars much. When I was young I had a 1979 Plymouth Champ that got 50 MPG highway, you would think after a quarter century they could have doubled that to 100 MPG. Oh well. 44 MPG does not impress me. BTW My last 2 cars were also Pontiac and I got 300,000 miles out of each. The last one was a Firebird with over 300,000 miles and all original except the onboard computer and a fuel pump, everything else was original and perfect including the engine and transmission. I sold it in good condition, in fact I sold it in one week at cars.com and I had people fighting over it. In contrast, I briefly had a BMW 740iL that gave me nothing but problems, I learned a lot about BMW, more than I wanted to know.

#28     Sep 2, 2005
  9. yes, it is true, I am an idiot

When presented with the facts from... a commercial??? Is this a misprint?

My goodness - there may be hope for the big 3 US automakers yet!!

damn squeeking...

ok, well put - a cogent argument.

Yes, those damn BMWs... famous for being badly engineered, those cars. Especially those M class BMWs. Nothing but trouble. My M3 is just a piece of crap. I was hoping to be in an M5 in a few years, but now I'll have to rethink. That is just a P.O.S sedan if there ever was one. Your Bonneville sedan kicks that M5 all around the room.

I know a lot of guys who went from a 740iL to a Bonneville, actually. Just like you did. That's a common move among disgruntled BMW owners. A lot of the guys I've talked to have told me 'Yeah, the 740iL is just a piece of junk compared to my Bonneville'.

#29     Sep 2, 2005
  10. NKNY

NKNY

Yes, I am one of those disgruntled BMW owners......just picked up a 525 six months ago.... now looking for a bonneville.... I prefer a 2000 bonneville since the 2005, 3.8L V6 with 205HP only gets 20/29 mpg

BMW......what was I thinking

And can't forget about those old 1979 Plymouths .... 50 MPG ...wonder if it was hwy milage...?

Ahhh the good ol days....

Nick

#30     Sep 2, 2005