GM Boss: Toyota better be ready for a fight

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by a529612, Jan 5, 2007.

1. I have to agree with you. You wont see me driving any car made in the US... I prefer japanesse and european cars...

#21     Mar 11, 2007
  2. Joab

Joab

Build a better QUALITY product with better materials and stop building vehicles that shake apart in 3 years.

Is it just me or doesn't EVERYBODY in North America know this and why are these morons still pumping out crap. :confused:

#22     Mar 11, 2007
  3. Nattdog

Nattdog

its not just quality. I have read the american automakers have done good work bridging the gap.

rather, it is often the little details that give something a quality feel.

Nicely finished and matched interior and exterior panels with small gaps, an interior that does not look like a tubberware convention on crack, a clean relatively classy design with good interior space for the size, rather than a cheezy, gimmicky design trying to relive the glory days of 40 years ago..

I swear, if u look at american cars, U can almost sense that these lumbering beaurocracies are dominated by jsut that: beaurocrats, rather than tallented engineers and designers.

When it comes to style, So many american cars look like each seperate corner was designed by a different beaurocrat, rather than the cohesive vision of on designer, or a small number of designers, with real tallent.

U can almost sense the layers of management goblyggook that is strangeling these companies.

#23     Mar 11, 2007
  4. Japanese Still Dominate Auto Ratings
    Wednesday February 28, 10:29 pm ET
    By Jeff Karoub, Associated Press Writer
    Consumer Reports Says Japanese Still Dominate Auto Ratings, but Detroit Three Improving

DETROIT (AP) -- Consumer Reports' latest auto reliability and survey rankings find overall domination by Japanese automakers, strides from the Detroit Three and stumbles from Europe. The findings, released Wednesday and featured in the magazine's April issue, are based on more than 250 tested vehicles and data collected from 1.3 million subscribers' vehicles.

For the second time in 10 years, all the magazine's top-10 picks are Japanese nameplates. This year's list includes five new models: the Toyota RAV4, Infiniti G35, Toyota Sienna, Mazda MX-5 Miata and the Honda Fit...

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070228/auto_reliability.html?.v=3&.pf=insurance&printer=1

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/index.htm

#24     Mar 11, 2007
  5. Actually, the high performance cars get surprisingly good gas mileage. For example, one coworker with a Mustang Mach I beats the heck out of the gas mileage I get in my smaller Jeep Liberty with a smaller engine.

But you're right: high gas prices would be the kiss of death for Detroit. It would be kind of like being under seige: how long could they hold out?

But, yeah, I think cars will be made in China when they get desperate enough. And I don't think it's about the wages: it's about the fact that in the long run the Chinese do everything more cheaply and efficiently when it comes to manufacturing.

But it's been hard for them to break into this market. Working with GM is a perfect opportunity for them and I think they'll make it happen. It will give them then inroad that they so badly need...

#25     Mar 11, 2007
  6. Sorting out the facts:

[​IMG]
    April 2007

Reliability trends
    Our latest survey tracks a decade’s worth of trouble

Some 9- and 10-year old vehicles have aged gracefully and have fewer problems than much newer models. This is the news from our latest Annual Car Reliability Survey, which has expanded to include vehicles up to a decade old, spanning from the 1997 model year to 2006.

For example, the 1998 Lexus LS400 had slightly fewer problems than the 2006 Mercedes-Benz ML500.

On average, the biggest increase in problem rates are between 5- and 6-year-old cars, which is when many owners begin thinking about selling their car. And that is where many Toyotas and Hondas shine in reliability. On the other hand, there’s less of a difference in reliability among 8- to 10-year-old models.

Toyotas and Hondas hold up the best...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...st-in-car-reliability-1005/overview/index.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ility-1005/how-they-age/0704_how-they-age.htm

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/.../how-makes-compare/0407_how-makes-compare.htm

#26     Mar 12, 2007
  7. Sorting out the facts (continued):

[​IMG]
    April 2007

Which companies make the best cars?
    Global fight with intriguing results

Last year was a tough time to sell American cars. Ford lost $6.1 billion in North America in 2006. Chrysler built thousands of vehicles that even some of its own dealers didn’t want. And the percentage of car buyers who bought American nameplates continued to fall, to 54 percent from 66 percent in 2000.

At the same time, sales of cars from Japan and Korea rose sharply. With both Ford and General Motors slumping, 2007 could be the year that foreign carmakers sell more cars in the U.S. than Detroit does.

To shed light on why some automakers are thriving while others are spinning their wheels, Consumer Reports dug deep into its own data to show the highs and lows for major carmakers. We analyzed how vehicles performed in a battery of CR’s road tests, coupled with reliability histories based on more than 1.3 million vehicles, representing 250 models. We huddled with CR’s team of expert auto engineers and interviewed business analysts who follow the industry closely.

Here’s what we found:
    No carmaker does everything right. Volkswagen builds vehicles that perform very well in our testing but vary in reliability. Despite very good reliability, not all Toyota models score well.
    Just because a car is Japanese doesn’t mean it’s a great car. Honda,Toyota, and Subaru make consistently reliable cars, but other Japanese automakers have mixed results.
    U.S. automakers build some good models. But many vehicles are mediocre, and even the best seldom rise to the top of their categories against stiff competition.
    Some automakers’ vehicles consistently do well in important areas such as handling, braking, or fuel economy, which weigh heavily in our Ratings.

We think consumers should focus on buying the best car for their needs, no matter who builds it or where it is built...

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ake-the-best-cars/overview/0407_best_cars.htm

Much more in the magazine - online free and subscription, and in the print edition at the newstand.

#27     Mar 12, 2007
  8. tdubnik

tdubnik

I worked for an automotive supplier in the U.S. for 25 years. For most of this time we were always playing catch-up to the Japanese auto makers. We were always "copying" their methods for quality control and productivity. We never did anything to make a quantum leap to beat the Japanese.

If the U.S. automakers want to survive, they can no longer afford to just mimic the foreign companies. They have to make that quantum leap or they will continue to play second fiddle.

#28     Mar 12, 2007
  9. I have owned five or six American cars and about 3 Japanese and for me at least there has been NO comparison in quality. I had a Isuzu Amigo where I never touched the air conditioner in 120,000 miles. That's right - I never even charged the system for the 6 years I owned that vehicle. In fact, I didn't do anything to it except change the brake pads once. The American cars, by contrast, were always a disaster. I can't tell you how often I've been towed and how many hours I've spent working on them and driving to shops...

But I do miss my 66 Mustang!!

#29     Mar 14, 2007