GM Bankruptcy Thread

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by The Kin, Jun 27, 2008.

1. The big difference between todays cars and a car from the 80s is the amount of complex electronics installed. Sensors, CPU, automatic this, automatic that. Hundreds of tiny little gadgets that can break. Sucks but I think its the same across all upper-middle class brands like the Germans, Volvo and Lexus.

I drive a newish German car myself and my sensors go nuts all the time :(

#31     Jun 30, 2008
  2. Bob111

Bob111

MB rules.
    did anyone notice huge spread on kbb.com
    on H3 hammer? trade in is 10K on 06 H3 and retail->22K.
    i would buy one for 10K :)

#32     Jun 30, 2008
  3. Link?

I need to piss off someone I know who has one, and sending them that link by email will do the trick.

Thanks.

#33     Jun 30, 2008
  4. Bob111

Bob111

5. #35     Jun 30, 2008
  6. capmac

capmac

Trading in single digits now..

A bankruptcy filing may offer a short term bottom for the market.

#36     Jul 2, 2008
  7. Kia... yes it's trash. Not so with Hyundia anymore, least not in my experience. My Hyundai holds up against my wifes Honda in my opinion.
    Back on topic. GM won't go belly up, but it'll be years in the restructuring.

#37     Jul 2, 2008
  8. Yes, the 80's Benz was a tank! Every now and then I'll see one with 180,000+ miles, and still going strong!

As for GM, they suck! I've had service and recall issues recently that have yet to be addresed by anyone at GM, as GM is operated about as efficiently as the US Government. (Vette C6 is good to go, however!:) )

Anyone think the Acura TL Type S would be a good choice?
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...n&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image&cd=1

#38     Jul 2, 2008
  9. Are you looking for a sedan?

Acura has gone downhill, IMO. I used to think Acura was great, sort of like a Japanese BMW (if fwd), but their new offerings have really been a let down in terms of hit or miss quality, and they've managed to mess up the steering feel of most of their new cars. The suspension damping isn't as good as it used to be, either.

Besides, the TL is merely a dressed up Accord.

I would have recommended a BMW 5 Series, but yet again, another formerly great car that became worse.

Given the ho-hum status of current sedans, the M35 is probably the best in its field. I really like the interior, there's enough tactile feedback through the steering, and the VQ 6 cylinder is one of the best in class, and has been for a long time, IMO. You can also get AWD if you need it.

There's not a lot of exciting sedans out there at the moment.

The redesigned and flawed BMW 5 series left a gaping hole.

I've heard great things about the Pontiac G8, to be truthful. It's a Holden, with a very rigid chassis, as I'm sure you know, which is a very popular car down under, and has a lot of torque. It's not going to be exactly fuel efficient.

#39     Jul 3, 2008
  10. Cutten

Cutten

Quick question - are the bonds in a bear market, yes or no?

If so, why would you want to go bottom fishing here? IMO the bonds should be bought when the company is on the brink of bankruptcy, as reflected by the stock price and sentiment on the street. NOT before. Bottom fishing bear markets for modest valuation reasons is a great way to lose money fast.

#40     Jul 3, 2008