Globex Market Order 5 minute fill????

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by cclee, Jul 25, 2002.

1. cclee

Hi there,
    Experimenting trading NQ on IB still...

Today, as a trade hit my mental stop, I placed an order to Sell at Market...and my trade went through 5 minutes and 6 points against me later!!

Are these occurrences normal? What can I do about it? I thought market orders are pretty fast getting out positions. Not sure if this is an IB or Globex issue.

Just a bit frustrated and freaked out.

Any thoughts appreciated.
  2. Just got a bulletin from IB. Between 10:48-10:55 Globex experienced problems that resulted in slow order response. It is now fixed.
  3. corvus

Did this punish anyone else? I lost several hundred in that 5 min as the NQs dropped precipitously.

I suppose too, because it was a "GLOBEX system failure", neither trailing stops or a backup broker would have helped.

I think I need a nap now.
  4. cclee

Does this happen often with Globex?
    And of course there's nothing I can do about it, right? ;)
  5. Nothing can be done about it. It doesn't happen very often, though. Globex is a very stable system -- at least, it has been :)
  6. cclee

What's your worst loss on a Globex outage?
    I "only" lost 6 points, but I was pulling my hair out.

And is this an IB problem, or general Globex problem? Obviously the market was moving during that period, so I would guess it's an IB one?
  7. Banjo

Nailed me for $1,400 this a.m. Bastids. I also used up two trading days worth of Depends, now Im short for tommorrow.
  8. cclee

Hey Banjo,
    Has this happened to you before?
    How long have you been trading E-Mini?

This is only my 4th day of experimenting with NQ, and I almost reached for the Depends too. :)
  9. ddefina

I lost 5 ES points. The outages always occur before a big counter move :) Globex doesn't go down that often in my limited experience.
  10. I've been trading on Globex for 1 year, and have had this happen twice. My biggest loss was $500 on 1 contract when I couldn't exit the position. The trade I was in this morning was a swing position, and I didn't get an exit signal until after Globex was back in gear. I got lucky this time.
    #10     Jul 25, 2002