Globally coordinated Wealth Tax

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Candace, Oct 15, 2011.

1. I'm sceptical about buying antiques and art just as I am sceptical about diamonds and jewelry.

There are flavours of the month that can be out of style the next, where do you sell it? Is the buyer legit? Is he offering you an honest price?

Even with something internationally quoted on a daily base as gold there are thousands of people that get ripped of daily by screwed buyers who take advantage of the lack of knowledge of the sellers.

Everything I buy I most be able to sell say 24 hours a day at a price set internationally no negotiation.

This is all for excess cash ment for longer term investment purposses ofcource.

If you need a house to live in and consider it a good investment why not... If you like a painting or a ring cause you think it's beautifull by all means buy it.

But if the purpose is riding out an expected global socio economic storm I would go about it as mentioned.

But again to each his own....

#11     Oct 15, 2011
  2. Candace

Candace

I am trying to AVOID paying taxes, not advocating for it. But to be honest, I do think that the disparity between rich and poor has grown too great.

But to address your post, I don't think anyone is proposing an ongoing 10% tax. Here is France's tax rates:

0,8 M€ - 1.31 M€: 0,55%
    1,31 - 2,57 M€ : 0,75%
    2,57 - 4,04 M€ : 1%
    4,04 - 7,71 M€ : 1,30%
    7,71 - 16,79 M€ : 1,65%
    > 16,79 M€ : 1,80%

#12     Oct 15, 2011
  3. Candace

Candace

I agree that buying and selling art and antiques sounds complicated.

But I think owning gold could be complicated too. It could see quite a correction shortly after a one-time wealth tax is put in place. People would bid it up ahead of the assessment trying to hide their cash (your bubble prices) and I suspect that governments would later try to entice the wealthy back into the decimated stock and bond markets (your prick, so to speak). Gold might not see prior highs for a very long time.

Perhaps you could privately sell a good portion of your gold before the bubble pops, (ie before capital gains taxes are cut to bring money back into the markets) but what would you do with the cash? We're back to the coffee tin in the backyard.

Too funny that UK OWS are already asking for an emergency wealth tax.

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3329105#post3329105

Wonder how gold and the stock market will react next week.

#13     Oct 15, 2011
  4. sorry, I didn't get the jist of the original post (it was kind of long winded.)

I thought you were exploring a wealth tax and maybe advocating it.

I see now you are looking for a shelter.

Man that is really poor form.

You have that much money and you are posting on a traders forum asking advice?

Sounds to me that you just have a deep need to brag.

My advice is get a professional shelterer and don't ask scalpers what to do with too much money.

#14     Oct 16, 2011