Global Warming Exposed Yet Again

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Jul 11, 2012.

1. jem

jem

I saw this on a thread...

given current science...

saying CO2 causes the earth to warm..
    is like arguing women's short skirts cause warm temperatures.

#51     Jul 14, 2012
  2. Yeah ok, whatever you say. Co2 is a greenhouse gas but rising levels of it won't raise temps. Sure.

Apparently you know more about climatology than 97% of all the world's professional climate scientists and virtually all of it's science organizations. Gotcha. You're an idiot.

#52     Jul 14, 2012
  3. jem

jem

leftist drone with a clown brain resorts to this crap after having zero ability to show that CO2 causes warming.

97% of what group of scientists...those getting govt grants?

#53     Jul 14, 2012

4. Oh, that's a brilliant move. It's not about denying the science, that doesn't work, so now it's about politics. You're good. Right out of the playbook. Did the Koch bros train you themselves?

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/globalwarming.html

#54     Jul 14, 2012
  5. More cheery stuff...

We simply can't burn all the fossil fuels. A runaway warming -positive feedback loop - is a frightening scenario. Humanity would probably try large scale geo-engineering to prevent it.

"He also explains that the sharp warming that took place during the Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM) were not caused by fossil fuels (which remained underground), but rather by the release of methane from permafrost and clathrates. If human emissions warm the planet enough to release that methane again, it could add a PETM-level warming on top of the warming caused by human beings.

Hansen’s conclusions are, frankly, terrifying:
    The paleoclimate record does not provide a case with a climate forcing of the magnitude and speed that will occur if fossil fuels are all burned. Models are nowhere near the stage at which they can predict reliably when major ice sheet disintegration will begin. Nor can we say how close we are to methane hydrate instability. But these are questions of when, not if. If we burn all the fossil fuels, the ice sheets almost surely will melt entirely, with the final sea level rise about 75 meters (250 feet), with most of that possibly occurring within a time scale of centuries. Methane hydrates are likely to be more extensive and vulnerable now than they were in the early Cenozoic. It is difficult to imagine how the methane clathrates could survive, once the ocean has had time to warm. In that event a PETM-like warming could be added on top of the fossil fuel warming.

After the ice is gone, would Earth proceed to the Venus syndrome, a runaway greenhouse effect that would destroy all life on the planet, perhaps permanently? While that is difficult to say based on present information, I’ve come to conclude that if we burn all reserves of oil, gas, and coal, there is a substantial chance we will initiate the runaway greenhouse. If we also burn the tar sands and tar shale, I believe the Venus syndrome is a dead certainty."

#55     Jul 14, 2012
  6. jem

jem

did you read the if...

if human emission warm the planet.
    if they do I would be concerned to.

but first I would like to see a historical example of CO2 accumulation leading / causing warming.

#56     Jul 15, 2012
  7. jem

jem

I have no idea what the koch brothers would have to say on this.
    But if they are establishment neo cons republicans... I dislike their brand of govt as much as the lefitst drone govt.

Our country was much better off when the left and the press were truly for freedom and constitutional rights.

We need to get back to real liberalism and lower taxes and freedom from gov't power and abuse thereof.

So as far as I am concerned leftist drones in favor of bigger govt are as scary as any group in history. How you can not understand that big govt is the enemy is simply scary itself.

#57     Jul 15, 2012
  8. I'm in favor of policy based on facts/science, rationality, the common good and compassion, and the least government needed to accomplish it. I do think the ship of state analogy is a good one and we need to act cohesively under a heirarchical leadership to accomplish these things and move ourselves to good destinations.

#58     Jul 15, 2012
  9. Then look at the current data.

How you be so dense as to not understand how our pollution of the atmosphere with massive amounts of a greenhouse gas is not warming the planet is beyond me.

#59     Jul 15, 2012
  10. wjk

wjk

Well said. I would hope that the least amount of gov needed is actually a very small amount.:)

#60     Jul 15, 2012