Global Macro Volatility Arbitrage Strategy

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by etfarb, Aug 1, 2013.

1. etfarb

etfarb

Please don't call me an idiot, im spitting my thoughts and would love some clarity.

I'm working on a Global Macro strategy that will trade all the asset classes available (Stocks, Bonds, Currencies, Commodities) and is going to aim to take a trade between once to twice a week (not too sure if this is to generous or not - but would love to hear back on the frequency) - but my account size can't stomach overnights on large things like oil and what not so I need to use options to trade.... Since I will be using options should I apply a Vol Arb Strategy?

2. Do you mean exploiting the difference between actual and implied volatilities? How would this work in this case?

3. After reading your options trading idea, I am now thinking of developing a Systematic Low-Frequency Volatility Dynamic Arbitrage Strategy.

4. By large things do you mean 1 lot of futures is too big?

If so, what about using .. etfs.

5. Trading global macro with an account that can't handle o/n swings in stuff like oil is doomed to fail, options or no options. Global macro requires deep pockets (relative to size of risk).

6. Linear combinations that are not very horizontal & require pop corn.