Global debt saturation. So why not just cancel most debt?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Johan293, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Johan293

Johan293

Hey!

I don´t know if debt and growth can continue to expand or not. Some say no.
    I am no economist but if so why can´t much the the global debt be erased if enough central banks help each other taking control of the markets so they don´t go crazy?

2. noddyboy

noddyboy

I agree. Nothing bad can happen anyway. The only thing bad is inflation but we can all agree it is NEVER EVER coming with this aging population.

Johan293 and nooby_mcnoob like this.
  3. gaussian

gaussian

I can't tell if this is a troll post but the world economy would evaporate.

The absolute base level of getting money around is bonds. Canceling bonds would have a cascading effect "up the chain" of debt instruments resulting in the collapse of the economy.

But yeah, if you want to go back to trading 8 oxen for 4 dutch casks of cheese then go right ahead.

Baozi and GRULSTMRNN like this.
  4. Johan293

Johan293

No trolling.
    What do you mean with "up the chain" instruments? And why could not cb´s all over the world be able to control those?

But perhaps i should have mentioned this as well.
    If they would be able to cancel this debt together then why not continue and issue loans together interest free? Could this not then create a stable and great economy for a long long time?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  5. Overnight

Overnight

Who is going to pay for the cancelation of the debt?

6. Sure, let's start with you first then we will all follow suit. I owe you 100,000 dollars. Forgive me my debt and I will forgive the debt others owe me.

7. Overnight

Overnight

Who pays for the cost of administering all this money, with no interest?

Would you loan half of your money to a total stranger with no expectation of payment in return? If you do, you live in a utopian ideal. That does not exist yet. We are far away from a Star Trek society, where money doesn't mean anything. Ask the question again in a thousand years, and you *might* get a different answer. But do not count on it.

8. What a stupid and shortsighted way of thinking. Not even 25 years ago we had record inflation. Inflation is not linked to an aging population. Low inflation is linked to people not having faith and trust in the future hence people save money rather than invest or spend. Or are you arguing that the fact that Apple or Warren Buffet are hoarding cash has to do with an aging population? Or that young couples rather save money than spend it all? Idiotic

9. Please study some basic economics and the history of financial markets. Your suggestions make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

10. Overnight

Overnight

Grootman, you are thinking too far ahead. This lad has been waylayed by the idea of some Dem candidates wanting to cancel some or all student loan debt. Keep it simple here.

#10     Aug 20, 2019