Glenn Beck Loses Advertisers

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Landis82, Aug 24, 2009.

1. C'mon man. I don't listen to Rush or Beck, but surveys consistently show that Rush/FNC listeners are either equally or greater educated than those of their liberal counterparts. That is, in terms of % of college grads.

When their knowledge about our country is tested with actual questions, Rush/FNC listeners always blow their liberal counterparts out of the water.

I'm not saying that FNC is fair or anything. Just that data from independent surveys consistently suggests the opposite of what you claim.

#51     Aug 28, 2009

2. Oh, I see. Well, I like empirical evidence just like the next guy.

Can you therefore post a link to one of the studies that you allude to, that either compared Rush/FNC viewers and/or listeners to those of say, MSNBC - or that offer educational background statistics on either viewer and/or listener?

#52     Aug 28, 2009
  3. I agree, the surveys are generally anything but scientific in nature, and I generally cringe while reading them. But if we can make the assumption that the sample population was random and then count on the fact that the survey was simple enough that it would be hard to screw up, then at least one piece of information can be obtained. That is, your statement that Rush/FNC listeners are generally the uneducated and disinformed, is categorically incorrect.

Common definitions of "educated" place college grads at the top of the list. Testing knowledge of subject matter is relatively easy with a series of say 10 non-partisan questions about our country.

I'm not saying that these listeners are smarter than their liberal counterparts, just that your statement has already been shown to be incorrect many times. I believe most recently by the Pew research institute.

I don't have time, but do a simple search of "Rush listeners more educated" and you'll find several surveys.

#53     Aug 28, 2009
  4. It appears you haven't been paying attention. There are a lot of pissed off Americans right now.

Will you please explain this: "If your company is deemed "critical," a new set of regulations kick in involving who you can hire, what information you must disclose, and when the government would exercise control over your computers or network."

#54     Aug 28, 2009
  5. Cesko

Cesko

Now you want evidence???

How about you provide your evidence for this:
    Faux News (not) plays to the lowest common denominator in our society: The uneducated. The misinformed. The disinformed. The apathetic. The intellectually dishonest. The ethically unstable......

We have a new Landis here.

#55     Aug 28, 2009

6. Only IF we could say that, it would therefore be true. However, if we take a look at the current state of political based polling in America today, we find an extremely biased sample set as well as extreme leading questions that are formulated to elicit a particular response from the respondent. Thus, one (certainly not all) of the primary reasons why a Fox New Opinion Poll on the 2008 race for the White House, was perpetually out of step with the MSNBC polls, on any given question about "who was winning," "who might win," "who would make a better President," etc. The Mason Dixon Polling numbers were even more skewed than the Fox numbers!

So, we have to be careful about not just sample size, but Poll Engineering, as well. One of the reasons why I don't much pay attention to poll numbers. Even Zogby, has fallen off the deep end this past Presidential cycle, with numbers against Obama that simply made no sense whatsoever, based on the final outcome.

Well, you know a book was written about this a long time ago: "What the still don't teach you at the Harvard Business School." (along those lines)

Sure, I was thinking of baseline education when I made the initial comment, but we all know that your "genuine" education does not truly start until you hit your first real job, have to start paying your first real set of bills on a monthly basis and have the real responsibility of taking care of yourself in the real world - not to mention a family. Even still, I was thinking far beyond that level of life experience, into the realm of truly understanding why Government does what it does (keeping inline with the OP's original theme).

Based on the OP's original post, the real education comes when one understands the Big Three (3) and how they operate: Government, Business and Politics. Now, some may argue that I left out Religion and failed to articulate the problem correctly by instantiating the issue as belonging to the Big Four (4). If one were to argue that against my initial premise, I would not put up too much of a fight, LOL!

Well, it does not follow the mainstream thought, that Republicans, on par have less education than their Liberal counterparts. I'm not making any personal assessments here of the quality of an individuals heart based solely upon how many sheep skins they hang from their office wall. I'm just stating what is already in the public ether.

Best Schools being primarily on either the East or West Coast, or the North East, etc. All of this political territory is currently standing as Liberal country, garnering mostly Liberal votes at the polls. Again, I'm making no personal slight on anyone, here - just stating the facts. Are there some good Universities in the South and the Bible Beltway, you bet! Some very outstanding Universities indeed, but I think you get my broader point about the Liberal territories nationwide.

Frankly, from a purely political standpoint, I wish more Americans would take a hard-line move to the center, where we all belong. America is best govern from the center, best lead from the center, best managed from the center and most of the brightest and long lasting ideas come from center'esk formations, often times out of bi-partisan conglomerates out of both Houses of Congress (again, staying within the general framework of the OP's thread).

What Faux News does is horrid. Plain and simple. What MSNBC did during and immediately after the 2008 Presidential election, was also petty but Faux, by far, holds the Horrid Media Award of all time right about now. I think people have to dig deeper, do their own research and derive their own, well reasoned, rational, well thought out positions about what is truly the causal reality behind our failures as a nation. Here we sit on the biggest economic implosion since the great depression, twin deficits unimaginable just 20 years ago, a national debt service level that we can no longer manage, an auto industry basically ruined for life if we don't change quickly enough, a manufacturing sector left behind in the dust merely because we favored the outsourcing of middle class American jobs overseas as opposed to building things here at home, educational institutions that are now being rivaled by Germany and Japan with China in the not so distant future being a major educational platform for its people, high (true) double digit unemployment, two (2) wars that will ultimately cost tax payers trillions when all is said and done, a broken down health care system costing tax payers even billions more per year than it has to, no real exportable growth industry on the horizon to speak of, etc., etc., and not a single member from Congress is going to jail for it? That ain't right.

Where is the accountability? Where is the informed outrage? Bernie M., goes to jail for running a scam. But, which Congressman went to jail behind the S&L Bailout of the 80's? What Congressman went to jail behind Freddie & Fannie? Presidents getting re-elected in the aftermath as we all sit around watching re-runs of Melrose Place? That makes no sense to me.

We have lost our footing as a healthy Republic. We need to change course and that cannot happen until more Americans get seriously educated, well beyond what they still don't and won't teach you at the Harvard Business School.

That's my take on the matter - yours may differ.

#56     Aug 28, 2009
    #57     Aug 28, 2009
  8. Apparently, Beck is pretty powerful and has a large audience - the last thing an advertiser would want!

Beck: American People Stood Up to Bring Down Van Jones
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 8:43 PM

Fox News host Glenn Beck, who led the charge calling for the resignation of President Barack Obama’s “Green Jobs Czar” Van Jones said Sunday that Jones is only the first of many radicals in the administration who should be facing questions.

“The American people stood up and demanded answers," Beck wrote in a statement. “Instead of providing them, the Administration had Jones resign under cover of darkness. I continue to be amazed by the power of everyday Americans to initiate change in our government through honest questioning, and judging by the other radicals in the administration, I expect that questioning to continue for the foreseeable future."

Jones resigned late Saturday following mounting criticism over his past statements and associations. The tipping point came when it was discovered that he signed a petition in 2004 supporting the "9/11 truther" movement, which believes the Bush administration may have been complicit in the Sept. 11 terror attacks.

“Much of the credit for Jones resigning should go to Fox's Glenn Beck, who as HuffPo's Ryan Grim notes, has his "first scalp,” Politico reported Sunday.

Beck’s victory was being lauded by conservative columnists and grudgingly acknowledged by liberals across the country Sunday.

“Face it, Glenn Beck won a big victory for conservative America with the resignation of Van Jones,” wrote Yael T. Abouhalkah, Kansas City Star Editorial Page columnist.

“Beck kept up the pressure, and the mainstream media reported on it. As a result, Jones couldn't really muster any effective counter-attack. He had made mistakes, tried to apologize for them but was too late,” Abouhalkah added.

“As scary as this may sound… Glenn Beck might actually have more power than anybody else representing the Republican Party,” the Web site Political Lore.com wrote Sunday. “As the Republican Party seemingly has no leader in their ranks, at least one that can represent the voice of the people. Even though Glenn Beck is an independent, he represents more Republicans than the Republican party.”

“The resignation of Van Jones signals that Glenn Beck’s words do not fall on deaf ears. The view’s of Glenn Beck have been labeled “extreme” from just about everyone on the left. Van Jones views are arguably just as extreme, if not more so,” the article continued.

It was Beck who repeatedly called attention to a series of statements by Jones that suggested Republicans were incompetent and bad in their opposition to Obama’s liberal agenda. Among other things, Jones called GOP members racists and a**holes.

Jones was also the co-founder of ColorOfChange, the African-American activist group that attempted to lead a boycott against Beck. But the boycott had the opposite of the intended effect – many advertisers denied they were boycotting Beck and his grassroots support surged. In the traditionally weak, non-prime time slot at 5 p.m., Beck is now drawing more viewers than CNN and MSNBC combined get in their prime time hours.

Even before the attempted boycott, Beck mentioned Jones twice on his radio show and twice on television. The boycott started after Beck called Obama "a racist" on Fox & Friends, but the comment occurred in the context of the racial controversy surrounding the arrest of Obama friend Henry Louis Gates by a white Cambridge police officer.

Beck mentioned Jones on 14 episodes, according to the Washington Independent's Dave Weigel, while also railing against him on "The O'Reilly Factor."

Beck also succeeded in keeping the national debate focused on the far left tendencies embodied in many of Obama’s policies and nominees, Politico pointed out. Now Obama is going into a key health reform speech before Congress on Wednesday with the taint of the Van Jones scandal marring his agenda.

“Between Cambridge cops; whether administration officials are or are not for the public option; right wing mobbing at town halls; and the back to school welcome contretemps, the White House has been forced to play defense and loose-ball control over [the summer],” former Clinton White House aide Chris Lehane told Politico. He noted that a “very important week” could have been consumed by “ a discussion related to an obscure staffer who no one has ever really heard of.”

But even before his resignation, critics said the controversy surrounding Jones was indicative of the fundamental problem with the administration's reliance on such advisers.

Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind., the first lawmaker to call for Jones' resignation, told Fox News that in light of the controversy Obama should suspend the appointment of additional "czars" until Congress has a chance to examine the background and responsibilities of such individuals, as well as determine the constitutionality of such appointments.

Now that Jones is out of the way, Republicans are turning their fire on czars in general.

Sen. Lamar Alexander, the third-ranking Republican in the Senate, called the czars "an affront to the Constitution" since they are not approved by Congress.

"I don't think (Jones is) the issue. I think the czars are the issue," Alexander, R-Tenn., said on "FOX News Sunday." "We have about two dozen so-called czars -- the pay czar, the car czar, all these czars in the White House."

Republican strategist Ed Rollins said the administration needs to focus on bringing people on board who are competent and not controversial.

"(Jones) got out of there, but the more fundamental thing is there are 31 czars in that White House," he said.

#58     Sep 7, 2009
  9. Cesko

Cesko

What Faux News does is horrid. Plain and simple.

Exactly WHY ??

#59     Sep 7, 2009
  10. Because liberals have all the answers, all the time, even though they have not thought out the consequences of their policies. It really is as simple as that.

What else do you need to know than the fact some left wing blogger argued Mary Jo Koepeckne was ok with her fate, as it furthered her liberal cause?

#60     Sep 7, 2009