Giving Up on Prop - What Next?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by seasonedpro, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Redman I ready to go just about anywhere as I love to trade. I know some visual basic but not much else as far as programming. I would like to know more about the quant side as that seems to be where all trading is going, but think it is outside my realm as I would be going against mathletes with PHDs.

And no I'm not a big believer in TA, the only use for TA in my mind is knowing what the TA's are looking at so you can go against an indicator when it fails.

#11     Apr 5, 2006
  2. Cheese

Cheese

Seasonedpro, the mind you display is shut down and closed. Your problem with trading: you don't know what you you don't know.
    :)

#12     Apr 5, 2006
  3. Coolweb, meet and greet is the key it is just hard to get through to Head Traders or anyone in charge of hiring.

I'm really just burnt out at trading for myself. It is a young man's game hammering away at the keys day in and out. Going in everyday flat and then trying make something happen has just worn me out. I have spent the last 8 years going in two hours before the market opens, reading news, looking at charts, etc. then trading all day only to spend the hour after the market closes going over your trades. I want to work on the other side where hard work is usually rewarded, unlike trading for yourself where you can work your ass off and lose money.

#13     Apr 5, 2006
  4. I love the endless stream of unhelpful insults that appear in replies to every post.

#14     Apr 5, 2006
  5. Cheese, you are right I am probably stuck on my old style. But I didn't start this thread trying to come up with a new style, my prop days are over. I am looking for some advice on how to move on to something bigger and better in my mind, that is what I know.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get in touch with buy side desks to get a trading position???

#15     Apr 5, 2006
  6. I couldn't agree more with Cheese's comment. You're blaming your inability to make money on the market and not yourself.

#16     Apr 5, 2006
  7. I actually probably should have known better Dr., that is pretty much what ET is about these days. You would think everyone is making millions by the way they act on these boards.

#17     Apr 5, 2006
  8. No actually I have blamed myself fully but as a result of the market changing. It is a fact that true day trading is done. If I was better capitalized I might be able to do something different.

But again, I didn't start this thread to find away to keep banging away at prop, get it?

#18     Apr 5, 2006
  9. mizer

mizer

#19     Apr 5, 2006
  10. Still, in my humble opinion, this shows that you're not being honest with yourself as a trader. As such, this will affect you wherever your next trading job is.

Maybe you should check out a trading coach (e.g., www.tradingontarget.com)

#20     Apr 5, 2006