Giving up is hard to do......

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bobcathy1, Aug 25, 2004.

Are you quitting trading?

1. I quit trading.

10 vote(s)
    5.5%
  2. I am thinking of quitting.

41 vote(s)
    22.7%
  3. I am a break even trader.

37 vote(s)
    20.4%
  4. I make money trading.

93 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. rdewey

rdewey

Do you not find any benefit from shorting a stock? I am interested in knowing, as I am still paper trading and don't really have experience in selling short.

#51     Aug 29, 2004
  2. Shorting on an uptick is doubling the risk. Going long a stock that is ticking up and looks like it could be going higher is the better trade. See my earlier posts on page 8.

#52     Aug 29, 2004
  3. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Don't agree (at least for me) ... the market can change in a heartbeat intra-day and traders need to adapt accordingly. Further, if one is doing this for a living they can't afford to sit on the sidelines on down days. From March 2000 until the end of 2002 playing only the long side would have made for a lot of "vacation" days. I'd bet Tiger Woods wouldn't perform as well if someone took 50% of his clubs out of his bag.

#53     Aug 29, 2004
  4. I was hand charting the market then, that got me real intimate with it. Most weeks there were at least two rallys during the period that you mentioned. Sometimes the market would rally three to five days then go into a big sell off. The total sell-off day was a feature of the market then. After the sell-off you could look for upside the next day. In the worst of times there are long side opportunities. Almost on any given day sort your watchlist for highest price gainers and you'll all see the stocks that rallied, even when the market is flat.
    I'f shorting is making you money then you have an edge there. My edge is on the long side.

#54     Aug 29, 2004
  5. i don't know how you have almost 3000 post bobcathy1 if your not able to make money. what do you talk about on here? i don't say that to be mean just find it weird that alot of people having trouble post so much. i wish you luck in whatever you do.

#55     Aug 29, 2004
  6. Weird... anyone know why this seemingly polite and moderate poster was suddenly banned?

#56     Aug 30, 2004
  7. traderob

traderob

Why do think Cathy was banned?

#57     Aug 30, 2004
  8. check the first post on this thread - under the name bobcathy1 it says banned, just like our dear friend coinz

#58     Aug 30, 2004
  9. nkhoi

nkhoi

you are right, must be self requested.

#59     Aug 30, 2004
  10. rdewey

rdewey

That is possible. Some people become addicted to such things as chat rooms and bulletin board systems such as this. I am a member of other BBs where I have posted well over 3000 times in the past 6 months, and find myself checking replies at least every 25 minutes (unless something important is going on). :(

It could also be that she has finally put her foot down and decided to totally quit trading, as she had discussed - In which this BBS reminded her of trading, so she requested to be banned.

#60     Aug 30, 2004