Given Up?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Cambist, Dec 26, 2007.

1. I just checked again, and you are right.
    They must have recently made that pair available through Idealpro.
    I know for sure it was only available through Ideal before.
    Maybe they have added some other pairs now also, that they did not have before?

#21     Dec 28, 2007
  2. In setember they added a slew of pairs

#22     Dec 28, 2007
  3. #23     Dec 28, 2007
  4. It's actually a recent increase. It was 5K earlier this year.

#24     Dec 28, 2007
  5. That is good news.
    IB had a very limited selection of pairs before.
    For that reason, plus since they do not support hedging, I am trading forex through another broker.
    Now if they start to support hedging, I would not need my other forex account. Until then, I don't trade forex much on IB.

#25     Dec 28, 2007
  6. Cambist

Cambist

Glad to see there's some discussion going on here even though this thread seems to be encompassing many subjects.

So my funds FINALLY posted today with FXCM and Tradency. I logged in and selected the three TAB system pairs EUR/USD, GBP/USD and EUR/JPY. I know they have 3 other pairs available, but my spreadsheets and heavy analysis is all based on their C2 verified results of 2007 which only consists of the 3 pairs I have chosen. If in the future (maybe 6 months - 1 year) they other pairs are showing similar results, I will gladly add those to the "portfolio".

I will launch a blog once the first trade is initiated, but that won't be until early or mid January. But I'm all ready to go!

GILES,

you seem to be pretty knowledgable as far as IB goes. Any chance you also know your way around programming languages? I'm dying to start a small time operation with some EAs I have and some other ideas I would love to have coded, but I don't know anything about programming and no time to learn just yet. A a savvy coding partner would be ideal. I'd like to eventually run the programs through a dedicated server and have it fed into IB's platform. Call me paranoid, but something that's profitable should be used with precaution.

Also, I've thought about opening a TradeStation account and attempting to put my programs in with "easy language". Does any body have experience with it? If so, how "easy" is it? I'm sure there would be plenty of studying involved, etc. But I've heard the TS backtesting is quite reputable and therefore might be worth the effort. Once everything is writin it's quite easy to trade with TS obviously.

#26     Dec 28, 2007
  7. Cambist

Cambist

I also wanted to add something else. If you are going to do the auto trading and want to take it seriously, set up an IB (introducing broker) account with FXCM before you sign up for the Tradency account.

The process is a little tedious and some added work, but I think it's worth it in the long run. Once that is done, reference yourself as the IB that you are signing up as and you will receive the rebates from you own auto-trading account. At least it's something and afterall, if this is a business you need to treat it like one.

#27     Dec 28, 2007
  8. Out of my league. I use AmiBroker because it's simple for me to program in AFL. I havn't botherd to get in deep with C#

#28     Dec 28, 2007
  9. How would the failure of an auto-trading system have anything to do with the trader operating the system?

If it's automatic, it's automatic, right? ie no trader intervention.....

What am I missing here?

#29     Dec 28, 2007
  10. Cambist

Cambist

The failure of an auot system is not the trader's fault if that trader does not intervene and sticks with the system insteading of "system hopping".

My point was that a lot of traders seem to system hop to the latest and greatest only to find that they are too late. They get into the system when it's on a slippery slope and decide to move on to the next latest and greatest only to be dissapointed again.

Panamadan made a good point in an earlier post, just read the thread :)

#30     Dec 28, 2007