Give me some closed end funds/ETFs/ETNs or anything else that might beat QQQs

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by SoyUnGanador, May 14, 2022.

1. So I just looked what XLK is, technology focused. Narrow focus, I wish it was a broader fund. But still, I need to run longer term numbers on it.

#11     May 14, 2022
  2. QLD (x2)

#12     May 14, 2022
  3. deaddog

deaddog

Over what time period?

#13     May 14, 2022

4. Starting 3/1/18 until this last Thursday, didn't include Friday's close.

#14     May 14, 2022

5. You would have only have had to keep invested 56.66% of your account to end up with the same ending amount as the QQQs at 100%, the ending amount in both cases being $182.10. However, your max drawdown with that level of investment would have been 31.61%, compared to the QQQ at only 28.56%.

These leveraged ones are interesting. Yes, you don't really get the 2x or 3x stated returns, due to the parasitic drag via the futures use, but you are not behind by THAT much. And your max drawdowns are not worse by THAT much as well. But in return you could use that money you saved to buy a short term bond fund or something that would juice your returns. If you could get 3% on the money you saved maybe the QLDs would come out ahead. I need to see if I can add that feature...

#15     May 14, 2022
  6. traider

traider

Super leveraged QQQ beat QQQ for various periods of time. This is all overfitting

#16     May 15, 2022
  7. Nobert

Nobert

That simply represents the perfomance of the whole sector.

Tech returns in 10 years - 400%, while for example, energy - 40%.

If one expects the whole sector to do well, a bet could be made.
    Athough, a specific industry can burn you down, say the DDD etf as example. Down for 10 years or so.
    Probably etf is made of a bunch of names, with no fundamentals and dreams only, about printing the colonies on mars etc.

#17     May 15, 2022

8. Might you explain yourself a bit better? I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

#18     May 15, 2022

9. Yea, the fact that it is tech specific I don't like, its just that sector outperformed for that period. Although, QQQ is pretty much mostly tech as well, if I remember correctly.

What is DDD etf ticker? I typed in DDD and it gave me a company, not an etf.

Thanks!

#19     May 15, 2022
    Nobert likes this.
  10. Nobert

Nobert

You're right.

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

All this time i was thinking that it's an ETF made out of various 3D printer companies, and would look upon it as a benchmark for 3D printers industry performance, because, one person told that it is, indirectly.

Once a year, at the most tho.

Seem that me and him, both, kinda, noobs. (laughs)

Thanks.

PRNT would be an etf of such sort, correlating quite a lot with DDD.

DDD is the largest position within.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    #20     May 15, 2022