give me more trading!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by funky, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Good to hear you're dad is still up and about in his 70's! I hope
    I'm still healthy and enjoying life then.

You're right...we are fortunate. I think it was Confucious who
    said..."He who loves his work, is always on vacation"

That's how I feel...my job is what I would be doing even if I didn't need to work.

#11     Sep 14, 2003
  2. You can get involved in Eurex and Forex and Asian mkts etc. Basically 24-7 trading.

If your broker does not offer this then you should upgrade.

Happy Trading:cool:

#12     Sep 14, 2003
  3. funky

funky

uptik,

thanks. are any of these markets like the us markets in terms of liquidity? i am in the search for other 'hot spots' of trading like the open/morning in the us markets -- not just 24 hour trading. i suppose both the eurex and asian mkts have something like this?

#13     Sep 14, 2003
  4. funky

funky

ok, well, i did some more research and it looks like the australian and tokyo markets might be doable. i'm out in california, so i think those markets would be open late evening. that would work great. now i just have to make sure those markets are liquid enough, find out exactly what times those are liquid enough, and then find a way to get charts. :O

edit: hang seng as well might be possible in the evening here.

#14     Sep 14, 2003
  5. I know that Scientist and m22au are both from Australia. They might be able to provide first-hand knowledge.

#15     Sep 14, 2003
  6. I primarily use IB/eSignal as my platform and live in Japan. If you trade futures, IB offers Australia (SPI 200 index futures), Hong Kong (HSI Index futures) and from Japan: 1) Osaka Stock Exchange Nikkei 225 futures and 2) Tokyo Stock Exchange TOPIX index futures. Although not the same liquidity as the ES, they are more than liquid enough to trade and I believe that all of these are SEC/CFTC approved for US citizens.

I primarily trade the US markets at night (have a full time day job) but have also started trading the TOPIX futures when I have the opportunity. The problem is in finding charting/data feeds for these markets. eSignal now provides Asia data for Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong and Singapore. However, the only "western" package I have seen providing data for Japan is fxXtra Platinum which is rather expensive as an additional package for me.

#16     Sep 15, 2003
  7. Cutten

Cutten

Trade the European and Asian bond and stock index futures. Or trade currencies and gold/silver which are almost 24 hour markets.

In Europe, trade the Bund (10 year bond) and Bobl (5 year) from the open at 8am Central European Time. At 9am you can trade from the open in the Gilt (UK 10 year bond), and the European stock indices - Dax, Eurostoxx 50, and FTSE. I usually stop around 1030am CET, as the main action is usually over and the market becomes much choppier and random.

The Eurostoxx and Bund are incredibly liquid, usually several hundred up on the bid and ask. The Dax, FTSE and Gilt are a bit less liquid, but this makes them easier to scalp in some respects. The Dax can be quite whippy though, so be careful at first.

I don't daytrade the Asian markets much, except to tweak my longer-term positions in them. But the Nikkei and JGBs are active active and liquid markets. Hong Kong is illiquid, and I don't know about Australia.

Saturadays and Sundays do sportsbetting or play poker :D

#17     Sep 15, 2003
  8. markc

markc

I'm an Aussie, but stay up through the night trading the es. Our futures index (spi) trades around 10k volume/day. There are 2 interest rate products (3yr & 10yr bonds), but I can't recall their volume from the top of my head.

try www.sfe.com.au

Mark

#18     Sep 15, 2003
  9. funky

funky

i think i'm not gonna be up for the european markets (i'm in cali). but the asian/aust markets sound perfect for those boring evenings ;) Sounds like i need to find out which is best -- tokyo, hong kong, or sydney :)

#19     Sep 15, 2003
  10. funky

funky

thanks! how would you compare the ES to the SPI ? I'm looking for a market to trade the opening, or a good slot of liquid trading, like the open here.

#20     Sep 15, 2003