Giuliani: Wall St bonuses help economy

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by lemeeeplay, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Mvic

Mvic

Are you a communist by any chance? Reason I ask is that capitalism advocates efficient allocation of resources. This means that firms that can't make it without government support don't get to keep the best human capital, they lose it to more efficient and competent firms.

#11     Jan 30, 2009
  2. Banff01

Banff01

Another pearl from Giuliani. Way to go, Rudy! Go fix the economy with big fat wallstreet bonuses...
    Gotta say it's one of the funniest and stupidest things I have heard from a politician! :D

#12     Jan 30, 2009
  3. "If you somehow take that bonus out of the economy, it really will create unemployment," he said on CNN's "American Morning." "It means less spending in restaurants, less spending in department stores, so everything has an impact."
    -----------------------

Suppose we can agee on this statement.

No bonus creates unemployment.

What is a gov't to do?

The gov't money can filter down through private enterprise or the gov't money can be used to create jobs.

#13     Jan 30, 2009
  4. AAA30

AAA30

Since my comments got some negative remarks let me clarify.

First, I am not a communist. Second, yes I have no problem with people receiving bonuses when it is based on their individual performance. This does not mean I think that the CEO's or MD of loss making departments should. Of course a portion of the bonuses should be related to the profitability of the firm as a whole but in order to retain the best staff you need to reward them for a job well done. And no, I am not saying that tax dollars should go to a banker’s bonus but part of the profit he/she generated should if they surpassed some level of performance.

I think the best bonus that I heard of this year was a bank that paid out the bonus with the distressed securities that they had on the books. I think it was HSBC but I am not sure.

When it come to some of these banks as a whole I think the best possible solution might be to have them eat there lunch and let the strong banks left standing pick up the pieces or in other word let the creative destruction process complete so we can move on.

#14     Jan 30, 2009