Gingrich tax plan would add about $1 trillion to the federal deficit in a single year

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Dec 19, 2011.

1. I assume, and even hope, that you're trying to make some ridiculous argument based on the fact that the top earners pay the bigger percentage of total revenues.

Even non-accountants understand that this is just a way to make it look like the rich are paying more than their fair share. To be simple, easily understood, let's revise this definition of fair, to be fair based on individual income not government expenses.

If a big percentage of the nation is unable to make more than, say $40,000 per year, then perhaps they should have a choice of whether to pay the same tax rate as earners of $400,000 or to stay off of government programs that cost more than the taxes they would pay.

I have thought for a long time, that allowing the minimum of income to be exempt, similar to how it is now, seems fair. And, a graduated tax as income goes up seems fair too. Not to Tax the Rich, but when you consider that those who make enough to pay cash for their homes and cars, and all the rest, don't end up funding the economy with interest payments and the like. So, since they avoid all those fees, an alternative is to simply have the graduated tax.

Very basic of ideas, very valid in my mind. And, yes, I am fortunate enough to be in the worst tax brackets.

Just another way to look at things.

c

#21     Dec 19, 2011
  2. rew

rew

The federal government does not have to meddle in public education.

The federal government does not have to sexually harass airline travelers.

The federal government does not have to be policeman of the world.

The federal government does not have to subsidize bad, losing businesses.

The federal government does not have to give anyone, including congressmen, free health care.

We're in this mess because the pinheads in Washington, D.C. do all sorts of things they don't have to do. Indeed, most of what they do isn't even permitted under article 1, section 8 of the Constitution. But then, that's the most ignored document in Washington.

#22     Dec 19, 2011
  3. Daxtrader

Daxtrader

It is really mind boggling that some people think the government knows how to best spend your money.

#23     Dec 19, 2011
  4. you are aware that many well off people pay no federal income tax at all?

#24     Dec 19, 2011
    #25     Dec 19, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

LOL!

The words bureaucracy and efficient don't even belong in the same sentence moron.

#26     Dec 19, 2011
  7. Lucrum

Lucrum

My sentiments exactly.

The way I see it only someone who knows they're too stupid to think for themselves could possibly believe the government knows how to best spend their money. Either that or they pay so little taxes that it's other peoples money they want spent.

#27     Dec 19, 2011
  8. Mercor

Mercor

Again and again, I can't get a Liberal to put a number on fair.
    Liberals love the word fair because unless you stick a number on it nothing is ever fair....

Please select an answer:

What should the top 20% of income earners (including those who pay no federal taxes) pay to be "fair"
    A) 20% of all federal tax revenue
    B) 30% of all federal tax revenue
    C) 40% of all federal tax revenue
    D) 50% of all federal tax revenue
    E) 100% of all federal tax revenue

#28     Dec 19, 2011
  9. my personal opinion is it should be a graduated income tax with about 3 or 4 brackets. something like 10%,20%,30%. well, i will be damed. thats pretty close to what we have now.

i would make a few changes though. no loopholes. all income should be taxed the same. cap gains,dividends ect should all be taxed as income. there is no reason people who earn income from investments should get a lower rate. income should be income.

#29     Dec 19, 2011
  10. Mercor

Mercor

Income from wages is less risky then income from capital. Why take risk with capital if taxes are the same as wages?

Do you agree the municipal bonds should be taxed?

If you got your way and all income was taxed the same, what percent should the people who earn the top 20% of all income pay. What percent of all federal taxes?

#30     Dec 19, 2011