Gingrich says Palin will not be the future GOP leader

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Gingrich says Palin will not be the future GOP leader
    By Alexander Bolton
    Posted: 11/16/08 01:05 PM [ET]

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) is batting down the hype that Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin heads into 2012 as the frontrunner for the GOP presidential nomination.

Palin energized the Republican base after GOP presidential nominee Sen. John McCain (Ariz.) tapped her as his running mate and she has tried to preserve her high public profile since Election Day.

But Gingrich, an architect of the Republican revolution of 1994, took Palin down a notch, asserting that she would not become the party’s leader, as some have predicted.

“I think that she is going to be a significant player,” said Gingrich during an interview on CBS’s “Face the Nation”. “But she’s going to be one of 20 or 30 significant players. She’s not going to be the de facto leader.”

Since the defeat of the GOP ticket, Palin has pursued an aggressive media strategy, scheduling a full slate of interviews to keep her face on television.

CNN aired a lengthy, wide-ranging interview between Wolf Blitzer and Palin on Sunday. Palin has also sat down for interviews with CNN’s Larry King, Fox New’s Greta Van Susteren, and invited Matt Lauer of the “Today Show” to Wasilla for dinner.

Palin refused to rule out a presidential bid in 2012 during her interview with Blitzer, which aired on CNN’s “Late Edition.”

Some political analysts, citing her high name identification and loyal following among the base, say that Palin will be a frontrunner for the GOP nomination in 2012.

Palin dominated media coverage at the Republican Governors Association meeting in Miami last week. She grabbed the spotlight at a Thursday press conference, answering reporters’ questions while a dozen other GOP governors stood awkwardly behind her on stage.

Crowds of reporters and cameras chased Palin in Miami while ignoring more experienced colleagues from other states.

But Gingrich on Sunday sought to divert some media attention away from Palin and to other governors such as Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) and Utah Gov. John Huntsman (R).

“She’s going to be a much bigger story in the short run,” said Gingrich, explaining Palin’s higher media profile compared to other GOP governors. “But, I think, as she goes back to being governor and as she works in Alaska, you’re going to see a group of governors emerge, not just Sarah Palin.”

Gingrich said Huntsman and Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels (R) may emerge as political leaders on the economy while Jindal could claim the mantel on healthcare reform.

“I would say, for example, to Republicans who are about to face this question of how do you get the economy growing again, bring in Gov. Daniels and bring in Gov. Huntsman….”

“If you want to understand healthcare, you can do a lot worse than to bring in Bobby Jindal who may well know more about health policy than any other elected official in America and is doing an extraordinary job in Louisiana.”

2. He's absolutely right. It's going to be either Bobby Jindal or Tim Pawlenty or Gingrich, but he's getting old and he's has his own problems too. Palin is a disgrace, I feel embarrassed for her and her family whenever she walks on stage.

3. Gingrich wants it to be himself.

It will be Romney or someone from the West Coast who hasn't really emerged yet.

The Republicans are desperately searching for a 'mutt' of their own, and Romney doesn't fit that bill, in reaction to a markedly changed country, geographically (population shifts to urban centers in southern and southwestern states by former notherners) and demographically.

America is rapidly becoming the true melting pot is was advertised as for the last 40 years, and with the right candidate, latino, black and other 'minority' voting participation can soar to off the chart levels, negating the far right's advantage that has been held in some suburbia of conservative states and rural areas everywhere.

The new strategy will be to win by big margins in big cities, and pick off states in flux that should be in the opponents column.

Obama's strategy will be the de facto gold standard for years to come by both sides. Axlerod was a genius for putting the southwest, Missouri and the Carolinas in play early on - Indiana was a gift.

Palin is too stupid and that's the firm conviction Americans now have about her, and will always have about her.

4. It would be the democrats dream come through if Palin were to lead the GOP ticket in 2012

Palin is an idiot and would never be elected President

5. Republicans need a 100% black man or woman with a latino VP. That would do it.

6. Palin appeals to white niggers aka wiggers. Trailer trash. The fucked up republican "base".

The only thing left for her to do is put on a mask and burn a few crosses.

7. I like that term "wiggers" ! did you made it up. I was looking for sth more compact than "white trash." Wiggers, sounds good

8. Mercor

Mercor

I am sure the feeling is likewise.

9. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

LOL

10. #10     Nov 17, 2008