Gingrich dishonest about his past?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DemZad, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Come on dude, drop the piety act. Half my friends cheat on their wives. The other half that can't for self explanatory reasons. LOL.

#11     Dec 27, 2011
  2. I wonder what the resident republicans in here said about him, when they were playing the drums before his joining the race.

Who are the resident republicans in here? They started threads about shitty candidates such as Cain (who also showed shitty things in addition to his bigotry and stupidity).

#12     Dec 27, 2011
  3. Then your friends probably shouldn't have married them. I used to be one of those guys who thought I would never settle down until I found the right woman. Makes all the difference.

Also, I am not attempting to run an inquisition here...but I think Americans have the right to expect more from their leaders. To me it's simple, if I am going to trust you with that kind of power, your integrity should be above reproach. Newt does not measure up.

#13     Dec 27, 2011
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

I agree with you. I'm not making a moral statement on marriage. I'm simply telling you what I have observed. I just think it's hypocritical for a "man" to call out other men for cheating when most of them (maybe not you) would do exactly the same thing. Yes, we should expect more from our leaders. That goes without saying. But we also shouldn't have steroids in sports, teachers shouldn't molest their students, parents shouldn't beat their kids, cops shouldn't abuse their power, and on and on and on. One of the things I "usually" like about libertarians is they leave all this morality bullshit out of things. I guess that's not you. I guess you have never done anything wrong in your life. Must be wonderful to be you.

#14     Dec 27, 2011
  5. What you were doing was trying to excuse Newt's indiscretions by insinuating that those types of indiscretions are common. Perhaps they are but so what...does that make them acceptable? If one of your buds got caught by his wife, with some other chick's dirty panties, would that buddy not be taken for everything he is worth in divorce court? When we catch a teacher molesting a child do we not throw that teacher in jail? When athletes are caught using steroids are they not sanctioned?

Furthermore, of course I've made mistakes. Everyone has. Unlike Gingrich I own up to mine and I don't pretend they never happened. I definitely don't try to rewrite my personal history to fit a present narrative. Newt Gingrich is an opportunistic scumbag, who represents everything wrong with politics in America, and he has no business running for POTUS.

#15     Dec 27, 2011
  6. Maverick74

Maverick74

You are doing it again. It's easy for you to say you owned up to your mistakes since owning up to them means maybe you looked at yourself in the mirror and admitted you were a douche for doing whatever you did. People in the public eye have to go a little further. We have no idea what you would or would not admit to with 50 cameras stuck in your face every day asking you. So there is no point to debating this. You get to argue from behind the fence, he doesn't.

Having said that, there is no reason to bring up Newt's indiscretions as there are a million other policy issues to attack Newt on. You don't need to make a morality case against him. That was my point. I just get deeply annoyed when I hear a "guy" tell me how he found the "right" girl and all that bullshit because every wedding I've been to the guy told me that right before he cheated on his wife. Every marriage is perfect until it's not. Very few people going into marriage with the plan of ruining it and ending up in divorce court. Life kind of works that way.

So if you want to go after Newt on policy issues, go right ahead. Just leave the morality crap out of it.

#16     Dec 27, 2011
  7. One could go after newt on policy issues if honesty was a part of his policy.

he's a cheating bastard. :mad: .

#17     Dec 27, 2011
  8. Not sure what your point is here except to again deflect criticism Newt Gingrich deserves. I did not start this thread because Gingrich served his wife with divorce papers while she was in a hospital bed being treated for cancer. I started this thread because Newt Gingrich attempted (and failed) to rewrite the history regarding that event...and just got caught.

Also, if you are comparing me to Newt Gingrich you should probably include the fact that while he dodged the draft I served my country. He's made more money though so there's that.

Indeed there is plenty to attack Newt on but this just came up.

I'll make whatever case I see fit. I hope that's ok with you Maverick. Your limited experience notwithstanding, not every man is like one of your adulterous buddies. That doesn't make me any better or worse...just lucky to have found the right woman.

Very few people go into marriage knowing anything about themselves, let alone with a plan. That's why we have such a high divorce rate.

Morality is a huge determining factor when selecting a leader. If he cannot be trusted to adhere to his marital vows, then how can he be trusted to run the country in a Constitutional manner?

That's not even what this is about though. Newt cannot even be trusted to tell the truth about a marriage he ended. He is actively trying to deceive the electorate and has just been caught. In short, he is a liar. Clearly, he has learned nothing from his eviction from the House of Representatives. If anything, he is emboldened. Did he seriously think no one would be able to find these documents?

In short, he's a liar who sucks at lying.

#18     Dec 27, 2011
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

Obama...or Newt?

#19     Dec 27, 2011
  10. Both.

#20     Dec 27, 2011