Gigabit Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SideShowBob, Mar 1, 2007.

1. I think I'll complain to Verizon -- the best download speed I get on my 20 Mbps is 19.7 :D :D :D

#11     Mar 1, 2007
  2. nitro

nitro

Quote me the line that says that. All I see is a link to CDW.

nitro

#12     Mar 1, 2007
  3. GTS

GTS

Here is the link to the Cisco document I referred to explaining how to configure it for redundant WAN links; I don't know if it will work but if not you can just go to cisco.com can search for the article number (70559)
    ASA/PIX 7.x: Redundant or Backup ISP Links Configuration Example http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...s_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

To be honest it sounds like your knowledge of Cisco firewalls is limited to reading the product highlight PDF's so this technical document may be over your head. I have the ASA and I get paid to configure them for customers. Believe what you want.

#13     Mar 1, 2007
  4. nitro

nitro

It looks like it supports the dual WAN option, but you have to buy a license:

"Cisco ASA 5505 Security Plus license (provides stateless Active/Standby high availability, dual ISP support, DMZ support, VLAN trunking support, and increased session and IPSec VPN peer capacities)"

I do not believe it is part of the product you linked to at CDW, as that skew does not seem to include a Dual ISP license. If it is included in that price, then that would be a good deal.

nitro

#14     Mar 1, 2007
  5. duard

duard

Nitro and GTS,

You guys are awesome. Very nice to have two minds with facility regarding computers as they relate to trading.

To that end what in your opinion would be the best but also cost-effective solution for connectivity for a remote trader?

Thanks

Duard

#15     Mar 1, 2007
  6. GTS

GTS

nitro, you may very well be right about needing the security plus license to configure dual ISP support, I haven't tried it myself as I don't have two ISP connections currently. That would raise the cost substantially for the ASA solution.

I agree with your earlier point that most traders would be better off buying a single reliable connection rather than trying to lash two less-reliable connections in a failover configuration.

duard, it really depends on what you are doing with it and what your tolerance is for down-time (e.g. scalping vs longer term trades). In terms of consumer type routers I've had good experiences with Linksys and DLink products and not so good with NetGear but that's a big YMMV. As long as you don't try to run a gaming server or P2P client at the same time you are trading any of those routers should be good enough.

I prefer Cisco gear because I'm comfortable with it and they don't release software upgrades without thorough testing, something you don't get with the consumer type firmware upgrades which often introduce as many new bugs as they aim to fix. Juniper also makes some nice firewalls that tend to be cheaper then the equivalent Cisco models.

In terms of residentail ISP's, my preference is FTTH/FIOS, DSL, cable and then satellite in that order.

For many folks (myself included) having your brokers number ready on speed-dial is probably enough redundnacy

#16     Mar 2, 2007
  7. I am not sure honestly if it will work with FIOS, it should, but after doing a fair amount of due diligence I am buying the Xincom, maybe the Edimax. Xincom have free phone tech support. I called their tech support line, the guy picked up in 2 minutes, that's good! Hotbrick charges $30 per phone incident and only free e-mail support, which I think stinks. Think about communication that is frustrating or lost in translation in e-mail. http://www.xincom.com/products/502/overview.php

#17     Mar 9, 2007