Gifted and Talented Traders

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by NoDoji, May 19, 2011.

1. ammo

ammo

gabfly,notice how she mentions taking notes and writing things down, like a scientist,I and probably you,are learning by osmossis,i think one of these ways is faster

#21     May 21, 2011
  2. NoDoji

NoDoji

Right, ammo, I approach it very scientifically knowing that odds will be in my favor if certain things happen over and over again and only fail occasionally.

Gabfly, although I've recently added a lot of discretion to my trading, the core setups and rules are the same well-defined setups and rules I developed over a good part of last year with a few other traders.

I have a setup where I enter a trade in the direction of a trend off a price pullback. Although I tweaked my strategy to avoid slippage and use tighter protective stops, the price at which I enter is the same, and the minimum profit target is the same.

I used to trade breakouts at the breakout level. I now position myself ahead of the breakout based on months of observation and note-taking to determine the optimal way to do that. The minimum profit targets on these trades are the same, the size of the protective stops are the same or quite similar, but the discretionary method of entering gives me a better entry price with no slippage.

I could teach someone the core rules and they'd make money if they followed the rules. I've added some discretionary nuances to how I trade the setups my core rules dictate; those modifications don't affect the statistical edge much.

#22     May 21, 2011
  3. Lornz

Lornz

I have been contemplating that myself. I come from a country that does not have neither standardized tests nor gifted programs. I was extremely bored in school and never did any homework. In High School I used to skip class and read Nietzsche and Blake instead. I wish I had the opportunity to participate in a "gifted" program, maybe I would've gotten more out of my time in school.

#23     May 21, 2011
  4. Lornz

Lornz

Great post! I've enjoyed your contributions over the years, Cutten.

With regard to pattern recognition, I've always wondered about the correlation between IQ and trading success. IQ tests are mainly built around pattern recognition, so there should be a high correlation.

#24     May 21, 2011
  5. So you have overcome your previous aversion to TWT?

#25     May 21, 2011
  6. NoDoji

NoDoji

TWT?

#26     May 21, 2011
  7. #27     May 21, 2011
  8. Blotto

Blotto

The ability to make almost seven thousand posts on Elite Trader in three years.

#28     May 21, 2011
  9. NoDoji

NoDoji

Yes! I've totally overcome that! I do all my thinking ahead of the potential setup and I'm prepared when the time comes. In fact I usually have my order placed in advance now.

I started documenting the trades I missed out on by TWT and realized that 80% of of the trades I missed were very profitable. It became an edge in and of itself :p

Damn, that's downright frightening :eek:

I think I need to get to a Trader's Anonymous meeting now...

#29     May 21, 2011
  10. zdreg

zdreg

"talent is overated" covers this ground very well.
    http://geoffcolvin.com/books/

#30     May 22, 2011