Getting Started

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Ratkins92, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Ratkins92

Ratkins92

I am just now getting into trading stocks. I am about to go into college and need some help. Does anyone have any advice for me. Where I can learn about stocks or a few good stocks to start off with? Any info helps thanks.

2. clerk

clerk

Take the right b-school classes. You'll find some covering finance or something taught by a failed fund-manager etc, and all your classmates will be very passionate about either investing or trading.

3. Read all of the high quality market books you can get your hands on. Some starters:

Reminiscences of a Stock Operator - Lefevre

Methods of a Wall St Master - Sperandeo

Market Wizards - Schwager (all four of them)

How to Make Money in Stocks - O'Neill

Trading in the Zone - Douglas

Diary of a Professional Commodity Trader - Brandt

Inside the House of Money - Drobny

Invisible Hands - Drobny

Expectations Investing - Mauboussin

Black Swan - Taleb

Fooled by Randomness - Taleb

Pit Bull - Schwartz

Soros on Soros - Soros

The Snowball (Buffett biography) - Schroeder

The Big Short - Lewis

When Genius Failed - Lowenstein

Devil Take the Hindmost - Chancellor

I'm sure there are lots more I missed, these are just quick off the top of my head.

And one other thing: Make sure you are talented, passionate, and have a burning desire to become world class at whatever it is you do. Because if you're not a true competitor with a warrior's heart and an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, this road is not for you.

Only mention this because a lot of guys (and you will find some on ET) poured years of their lives into markets only to regret it. Assess yourself for the challenge beforehand, because there are many easier ways to make a living in this world.

4. Work your ass off in college and get great grades. Let trading be a hobby and have a long-term plan if you are serious.