Getting started

Discussion in 'Trading' started by runT1ME, May 19, 2003.

1. runT1ME

runT1ME

Let me preface this by saying I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask these questions, if its not I apologize.

I'm not a trader, but lately i've started thinking about getting involved. unfortunately i'm also a little overwhelmed by the amount of content floating on the internet, along with the plethora of "Must read" books.

I'm currently a software engineer making a living, but i'm looking for a career thats a little more exciting and high risk (young, no family, extra money, why not?). I'm not looking to make a quick buck, and I am willing to invest time into learning, studying, and hopefully i'll eventually be able to make money. Are there people here who make good money? How do I get involved? Any advice to get me started in the right direction would help, and any opinions, recommendations, book suggestions, anything, would be greatly appreciated.

2. If you do not want to get rich quick and you have money, then forget it.

Come back when you reverse that condition so you can lose.... and recover...... then lose again. Your hunger will increase and then you will learn something.

Michael B.

P.S. in your current condition you have to much to lose.

3. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

You're going to get a lot of bonehead responses to your questions as well as a few that might actually be helpful, and it'll be up to you to separate the logical and sensible from the puffed and hormonal.

One question. You apparently work for somebody else. Have you given any thought to the process you'd go through to open up a software engineering business/office/service of your own?

4. Kermit

Kermit

runTime:

Well, you’ve come to one of the right places. There’s definitely a plethora of valuable information to be found here at ET. Look around at the various topics that interest you and augment it with the Search function provided by this site on more particular items. You’ll also find that the more specific and explicit your content is in your post(s), the more direct and precise a response you’ll likely get from various people. So, happy hunting, and good luck!

Kermit
    :)

5. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

I was in software development for a number of years but always had a strong interest in trading. I began trading part time (mainly swing trades) while still working at my corporate job. My methods at the time were primarily TA oriented. I began to make some decent money from my trades so I committed even more time. Eventually I left my job (over 7 years ago) to trade and never looked back. I think you need to have a passion for the markets and hopefully are not just bored, tired of politics, burned out, etc. at your current job. I developed a business plan of sorts back in the mid 90's setting my goals and also considering what I'd do if things didn't work out trading. My advice would be to determine what kind of trading best suits you and your job constraints. How will you pick the stocks to trade? What are your goals?