Getting started

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by rca420, Jan 7, 2009.

1. rca420

rca420

Hello everybody,

Don't know how to really start this off, but I'm looking to re-dab my left foot into the stock market and test the water. The last time I tried stocks was back in 2002 and lost a good amount due to my mental weakness in 'following the herd into the slaughter house'. I basically didn't know anything and trusted the opinions of others. Stupid.... I know.

Any, I've always been intrigued by the market and I feel like it's time I try again, but be prepared this time around by doing everything necessary in my powers to learn the market.

I'm a software engineer by trade and I would like to think that I have the analytical skills to learn TA and other trading aspects involved to become a successful trader. So this message is more of a plead to find out from you experts how a newbie like me can hopefully rise to the top. I'm not looking to get rich quick and I'm willing to invest as much time as I need to 'get' this, even if it means a few years to a few decades (hopefully not). ;)

I've already purchased my first book titled "Technical Analysis for Dummies" by Barbara Rockafeller and I hope you guys/gals will be kind enough to give me some input. Thank you all and take care! :)

2. pneuma

pneuma

Considering your current occupation, and your previous disposition for "mental weakness", look into mechanical/ system/ algo trading. There are plenty of post regarding this type of approach to get you started.

Basically you are looking to develop a specific system of entry and exit criteria on what ever market you want, attach some money management and test it historically to see if it works.

Good luck,

pneuma

3. joy60500

joy60500

this is my first to come here! i will study here.