Getting started with a Prop Firm (My experience - ongoing!) Lake Street Trading

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Dusky323, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Dusky323

Dusky323

I'd rather wait 3 months before alerting them :p

#41     Jan 27, 2012
  2. You're buying over a 1,000 shares of what? $5k x 7 = $35K. Buy once, and you're done until you sell it? Is that how it works? $10k maximum for holdover trades?

Have you looked at Velez, Vaccarro, Tuco, and the results for traders? It's hard enough to make money trading.

c

#42     Jan 27, 2012
  3. Dusky323

Dusky323

I'm using my TD account for overnight trades. I'm using LakeStreet for Day trades only, mostly scalps so I'm in and out of trades. Many of these trades are $3-5/share and I might be into them anywhere from $5k-$10k per trade which is more than 1000 shares. I'm usually never in more than 3 stocks at a time so I don't really get near the 35k BP, not yet anyway...it is only Day 3. I think I must be extremely lucky because I made a pretty steady wage with TD Ameritrade over the past 1.5-2yrs just doing 3 Day Trades a week and some overnighters. So far in the first 3 Days of unlimited the pattern continues. Time will tell.

#43     Jan 27, 2012
  4. Oh, I see now. Penny stocks. Hope that works out for you. According to my people, they are 100% margin under $5.00 anyway. So, I don't see any edge with a prop firm. But, I wish you well.

c

#44     Jan 27, 2012
  5. Dusky323

Dusky323

Didn't realize a $5 stock was a penny stock but none the less many of these trades are in the $3-$5 range. Not all of them but enough to make the $6.50/trade a better option than the .0065/share.

#45     Jan 28, 2012
  6. LOL someone working for the SEC now? We pay them enough with our taxes, let them figure it out on their own.

#46     Jan 28, 2012
  7. I posted a news story on another thread. 4 unregistered BDs just got busted by the SEC. Literally yesterday. I wouldn't send one penny to them, and I'd withdraw your $$ now.

Registered bds may be a different story, but you'd better do your due diligence there too.

#47     Jan 28, 2012
  8. Do a Google search on those firms. None of them appeared to be holding themselves out as BD's or even as prop firms. Something else is going on here that is not clear from the SEC release.

#48     Jan 28, 2012
  9. Kevin, included in the SEC's lawsuits (posted on SEC.gov), among the other charges, all of these companies are accused of acting as unregistered broker dealers.

There are diagrams, details of deals with traders etc. Its pretty clear these guys were just trying not to be registered but they got busted because some crook took advantage of them attempting to ignore the requirements of actually registering.

Its pretty interesting reading. Lots of insight into how these guys were operating and attempting to avoid the rules. Shocking they didn't do a better job, since some of them were involved in Tuco as well.

#49     Jan 29, 2012
  10. hitnrun

hitnrun

sgt. slotter

good heads up on the thread on the fraud case. good info for all

#50     Jan 29, 2012