Getting Started in Chicago

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by illinimatt81, May 1, 2007.

1. I live in Chicago, have been studying trading for the past year or so by reading Tharp, Schwager and others along with my own independent study. ET has also been a great source of information. My interest tends to lie within options but I am open to other markets.

I'm a few years out of college, graduated from The University of Illinois with a business degree with a good GPA and I am sort of at a point where I am stuck trying to figure out how to break into the field. I'm bright, a quick learner and committed to becoming successful however that may be required.

The advice I seek isn't really the names of places to apply but rather what approach to take in doing so. I'm not really capitalized so prop shops where you have to put up capital are out of consideration for now. I'm more interested in the opportunity to learn more than anything else.

Any thoughts?

2. The business has changed so much in the last 5 years. Electronic trading has eliminated many of needs and opportunities for human traders and trading clerks etc. Quantitative modeling engineers and system developers are where the opportunity for employment is the greatest.