Getting Started Developing and Trading System

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Gyles, Sep 19, 2007.

Do you trade in mechanical Strategies?

1. Yes, I trade in commercial strategies that I buy.

6 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. I trade in both the commercial strategies and the ones that I develop.

21 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. I trade only in strategies that I develop.

141 vote(s)
    65.9%
  4. I use strategies to help in the descressionary trading.

29 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. I don't believe in strategies at all

17 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. Gyles

Gyles

After reading Perry's book and the Murray Stuff, I have decided to get into trading mechanical trading strategies.

This thread is to address how traders should start down this path.

2. Gyles

Gyles

There are so many Trading software platforms, like

Moreover, I am a non US resident so I can buy the TradeStation 2000i. Therefore, I would like to test these products too, TradeStation On -Line version 8.X and old 2000i. At the moment, I am using Ms-Excel.

I shall be researching all of these and need your help also. I want to choose which of the above products I should use. I will be trading using “end of day” data.

I shall also need help in selecting the data; I will send soon to you all, my post on data vendors to choose from.

3. jmwilk

jmwilk

I would recommend taking a look at this web trading application too at Tradery.com...

http://www.tradery.com

Kind Regards,

JMWilk :D

4. rosy2

rosy2

forget all those. you need to get your hands dirty and do it yourself. everything is free: data, operating systems, databases, tools, programming languages, even educational material. people can make all the excuses they want but in reality they're looking for a quick hit.

5. sokoban

sokoban Guest

I respectfully disagree with the last post.

I think there is nothing wrong with using tools developed by others if they allow you focus on your trading ideas, and I'm not sure developing your own tools will help you become a better, more succesful trader.

Could you please elaborate.

Thanks,

s

6. Div_Arb

Div_Arb

Yeah we don;t want to figure out how to write C++ code or compile software or anything like that, just looking to set up a trading system!

7. Gyles

Gyles

Sincere thanks epiktetos, jmwilk for the inputs of the software, Neoticker and Tradery.com.

Also, sincere thanks, sokoban, for your support.

Just wanted to inform you rosy2, that I have been using Excel and Excel VBA for a year or so for testing out some of the strategies. Moreover, you are aware that it takes a hell of time (2-3 man years), to develop all the tools that the commercial platforms have.

The purpose of this thread is to state that I am trying to develop trading systems and start trading while having a real job. It is in my opinion, that developing your own platform does not make sense when the same tools can be purchased in the price range of $200.00 - $3000.00.

Assuming that I buy the $3000.00 one, duplicating the features which I require would mean working on programming for just 50 cents to 1.00 an hour! Therefore, I personally feel that my time and efforts are worth more and I would rather spend them in researching the markets and earning more.

8. rosy2

rosy2

ok i didnt mean develop your own trading platform, I use an off the shelf one myself. I meant spend the time to work with the raw data and develop real profitable strategies.

I assumed those links were for some GUI apps that let you link boxes together to make some holy grail money generator. I guess I'm wrong.

I think any platform that lets you access it via API in a popular language is fine. After that you still need to do grunt work.

9. I started with Metastock many years ago. At some point it became obvious that a commercial product never would be flexible enough, and i wrote my own. Been trading and testing exclusive on my own platform since 1998.

PS: until you know what you need/want, try something inexpensive such as Metastock, Amibroker or TradeStation. They are all good tools.

#10     Sep 20, 2007