Getting sidetracked while trading...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by SoCalTrader619, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Arnie

Arnie

Same here! Not so much now, but I used to have a recurring "nightmare" that I was smoking again. I would wake up and at first not realize it was a dream and be so pissed that I had fallen off the wagon.

As to the op, i was thinking about this very issue yesterday. I find myself in a winning trade and then not taking profits because I'm distracted and the end up with a loss! Discipline, discipline.

PS posting this on my break:D

#31     Jul 31, 2008
  2. JOEY O

JOEY O

What is the best way for me to watch real-time price/volume action?

Right now, sadly, I just use yahoo real-time, but it is slgihtly delayed and does not have dynamic charting.

Are there any free applications/utilities out there that allow me access to real-time (or close to real-time) market data?

#32     Jul 31, 2008
  3. Your best bet (I think) would be to open an account with a firm like Velocity Futures which I know offers a free DOM and also free charting software. You don't have to pay for them but you would need to put 5k into an account to open it. Doesnt mean you have to trade real money yet but it would allow you real time DOM and charts for price action analysis.

#33     Jul 31, 2008
  4. daybyday

daybyday

VERY encouraging thread, to me.

Thank you for all the insights from the experienced hands here.

dbd

#34     Jul 31, 2008
  5. You can open a TD Ameritrade account with only a $2,000 minimum, and use the Quoetracker software application to display the real-time quotes/charts and technical indicators for FREE, via Ameritrade's real-time data-feed.

www.quotetracker.com

You can check the reviews of Quotetracker here on ET.
    It is an impressive quote application that will suit your needs, for FREE.

#35     Jul 31, 2008
  6. JOEY O

JOEY O

Great Advice. Thank you , I am going to check it out right now.

#36     Jul 31, 2008
  7. if i didnt have a wife 2 kids a dog a cat all screaming and the phone ringing i dont know what id do

#37     Jul 31, 2008
  8. Well, I think it happens to all of us. It is stupid to not be fully engulfed in your trading. It is a waste of money and more importantly time. Do you really want to be a trader?????? I had to ask myself that question. I love doing this and I do not consider it a game, at least not when I making nice runs. I do get bored sometime for sure I get up walk away and come back or not.

#38     Jul 31, 2008
  9. Or just go to mirusfutures dot com and download NT with Zen Fire for free no accnt. open needed. Charts are free too real time, for futures only. Or you can use amp futures same difference.

They key is to use price and volume, whether its market profile or price and volume using a volume histogram. Search around ET or traderslaboratory dot com. I like VSA and Wyckoff, but Market Profile works well too. Both are based on sound principles of supply and demand.

#39     Jul 31, 2008
  10. Don't know about you but I like watching all the data flowing and the market in action. You are either 100% in the game or you will not get results.

#40     Jul 31, 2008