Getting Rid of the MS Messenger icon even when starting OE

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by ElectricSavant, Apr 18, 2004.

1. I found this little link with all sorts of informative fixes and tweaks for XP.

http://www.careyholzman.com/WinXP.htm

Problem: How can I get rid of the annoying Microsoft Messenger icon?

Possible Solution: Click Start, click Programs, Accessories, and click Notepad. Once Notepad is open, click File, click Open, and for the filename type in: C:\WINDOWS\INF\SYSOC.INF and hit enter.

Under the section [Components], look for “msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf, hide,7” and remove the word ‘hide’, so it looks like this: “msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7”.

Then click File, click Save, click File and click Exit. Next, go into your Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs, click “Add Windows Components” (on the left side of the screen), scroll all the way down the list that appears and the last option listed should be “Windows Messenger”. Uncheck it and click Next. You have now uninstall Microsoft Messenger.

2. I just removed it. I never did like the way it is always running there when I use outlook express. Thanks for the tip. I mentioned in another thread that I had just started using a new browser called "Avant Browser". So far (2 wks) it has been running stable and has some good features that make doing research on the web alot easier for me.

xt