getting rid of grey area in excel charts

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by travis, Dec 20, 2006.

1. travis

travis

YES!!!

You're unbelievable. After all these people trying, including myself, you nailed it!

That's it. It had to be a Japanese to solve it. After all, it's also a Japanese who wrote an Excel version of Space Invaders and Pacman:

http://www.geocities.jp/nchikada/pac/

#11     Dec 21, 2006
  2. Sorry I am not so proficient with Excel. Newbie with such stuff. Actually, we are trying to create a synthetic index of Taiwan which we trade. We have the real-time stock quote from Bloomberg and all the necessary formulas for it but just do not know have to get this live data into a chart form.

Appreciate it if you or anyone else can help me with it. Kindly tell me in slightly more detail as I am still not good with Excel. Thanks

Happy trading and a Merry Christmas to all.

#12     Dec 21, 2006
  3. travis

travis

Well, I suggest you read manuals, specifically on this subject: Import External Data, Web Query. I can't do it for you. I read the manual myself. I suggest Walkenbach's manual, "Microsoft Office Excel 2003 Bible".

#13     Dec 21, 2006
  4. Grant

Grant

Profutrader,

Do you have your prices and formulae linked into/updating into Excel, building a database? Or are you also looking for a solution to this?

Grant.

#14     Dec 21, 2006
  5. If you're a licensed Bloomberg user than Bloomberg tech support can show you how to do this in minutes.

Suss

#15     Dec 21, 2006
  6. Yes we have the prices of the components stocks of the index in excel with the relevant formula to calculate the index pirce with live feed of the stocks from bloomberg.

We have approached the Bloomberg guy but he says it is out of his scope and refuses to tell us or do it for us.

If there is a solution it will be best but it is alright as we have slightly delayed prices on our charts.

#16     Dec 22, 2006
  7. Thats the problem, he did not try to help us. So we left to do it ourselves. So far , we have not been able to do it.

Thanks for the replies Susukino and Grant. :)

#17     Dec 22, 2006
  8. H2O

H2O

Profu,

I don't have experience with linking bloomberg terminal into excel, as I do not use my bloomberg for data in that way, but it should be quite easy using DDE. (I don;t think Bloomberg uses RTD :( )

When I did a quick check, I did find out that you need an EXCEL-Add-Inn for this feature to work. If your Bloomy is enabled, than this link will help: http://www.ecom.unimelb.edu.au/research/databases/Bloomberg/Blp.hlp

(Google search !)

#18     Dec 22, 2006
  9. No, it doesn't work that way - just hit HELP twice and send a request to tech support saying "I want to do xyz" and they will get back to you. Over 12 years I have never been refused anything by bberg tech support and neither should you be if you are a licensed user.

Suss

#19     Dec 22, 2006
  10. Thanks H2O. Will keep you posted whether it works.

#20     Dec 22, 2006