Getting results notice & funded

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by trading1, Oct 23, 2010.

1. 4:35pm

4:35pm

Yeah in the macro sense. But the operative word in your post should be IF. Not all strategies come into vogue. Right now time should be spent working on a good story and finding that perhaps odd ball rich family who wants to diversify and likes a gamble.

Having results and a strategy are inherent in wanting to raise capital

#41     Oct 26, 2010
  2. I can not yet meet one of the criteria to be a hedge fund investor, i.e. a net worth of more than $1,000,000. Besides, I enjoy managing and growing my own assets and teaching my methods. That may change over time.

Those I know who are hedge fund investors are generally not interested in making investment decisions. They are making or have made lots of money, want it preserved first and grown second and devote their time to other pursuits, usually recreational and charitable.

#42     Oct 26, 2010
  3. All of the folks I have met who fall into the "recreational and charitable" category are usually lazy who came upon their money through inheritance, marriage/divorce, etc., but they did not make it on their own. For those in the lazy inheritance category, sure, you might be able to scam them out of some cash.

Usually the folks who actually made the money want to keep going because they had fun doing it and identify themselves with what they do. Those who retire and move on to a life of recreation usually have a 5-10 year lifespan after that. Usually they just sit around all day and do not chose to pursue the so-called "recreation". Then its a matter of time before they start gaining weight and have some sort of medical issue like a stroke.

I have enjoyed working all my life. I still do volunteer work for the Red Cross and consulting work in the oil business. I have no problem with it as I enjoy it and it keeps me alive. I know if that I chose to do nothing and "recreate" then I would not last long.

#43     Oct 26, 2010
  4. lazar206

lazar206

The question is, do you want to earn 20 % annually on a million dollars, or earn 4% (20% fee on 20% return) annually on a “billion” dollars?? With the later one you earn 100 times more. Yes its much more work, but it’s also much more reward.
    As for your quote, “starting a hedge fund has little to do with trading and everything to do with sales” I would have to disagree, once a fund has a good track record of solid stable audited returns for 3-5 years , you will get investors no matter if you are a salesman or not. On the other hand you might be the best salesman in the world, if your returns are not good, you can close shop….

#44     Oct 26, 2010
  5. Sometimes I'm too pithy for my own good.

With the exception of only one that I can think of at the moment, those I know who choose not to invest on their own are still working at what made them successful or are retired. You would not recognize them as wealthy by how they dress, how they live or the car they drive. Those that work hard also recreate hard. That's why I have a travel agency as well as my trading and teaching business.

Although all spend time on "giving back," the retired do more of that. They are members of many charitable boards, sponsor charitable events themselves and donate generously.

I've had the privilege of associating with many of them because of my wife's lifetime devotion to feeding the hungry. She has been a board member of the local Hunger Task Force and was the founding president of the Prepared Foods Rescue Program. She worked with our state legislator to sponsor a bill in the state legislature to provide Good Samaritan protection for those donating prepared foods.

She has organized fundraisers that raise 10s of thousands of dollars to be spent in the local community and has made it an annual event. For the first several years, the Mayor donated the Civic Center. Our US congressman provides auction donations for the annual fundraiser. Local politicians, judges, business leaders and wealthy retirees participate in the annual fundraiser. She now works with an organization that houses the homeless who have mental problems.

I'm glad my experiences differ significantly than yours.

For the rest here, keep in mind YMMV also.

#45     Oct 26, 2010
  6. None of that charity actually does anything. Billions of dollars have been donated to Africa over the years with no results. People are still poor, dieing and genocide still takes place there. All of the US cities where there has been extensive charity and donations...it hasnt solved any of the problems there.

What will solve the problem is jobs, but handouts just makes folks feel good because they think they did something. If it makes you feel better, sure, donate, but dont think you are solving any problems. You are just enabling the person you are handing money to accept another handout in the future when they need it.

All these people you mention can help the community more by building sound companies for people to work at. I would put more effort into building a company then handing money to someone. Handouts never get used efficiently in any event and a few months later they need more.

Charity doesn't work...it hasn't worked in hundreds of years. New York City was built on jobs not charity.

#46     Oct 26, 2010
  7. That's an interesting point and I have had many discussions with my wife regarding how charity is delivered in this country and how there is an infinite demand for a free resource. We are polar oposites on some subjects.

None-the-less, the point of this thread is how to get people with money to notice one's ability to make money for them.

I used my personal story not as a prescription but as an awakening for others to think outside the box. I don't have $1,000,000 of investable funds yet, but I get to associate with many who do. And their personalities, life style and longevity are quite different from the experiences you relate.

#47     Oct 26, 2010
  8. Your post reeks of adolescent angst and anit-establishment fervor. Nothing you've said so far in this thread is factual; its just bias and opinion stemming from a deep lack of self-esteem.

Once you make something of yourself, you'll see how valuable giving back is. It's rewarding in ways that money itself can never fullfill. How about instead of pretending you're something you're not, shell out a few hundred dollars and start an account here:

http://www.kiva.org/

In general, you internet "personalities" need to get a grip. There are people here who know what they are doing and can see right through this self involved BS.

Couple of points:

1. No HF manager (myself included) would ever take you (the retaildaytrader handle type) as a client. I doubt you'd qualify anyway.

2. As an investor in various funds, I take a holistic approach wherein I make my decision based on the personality and character of the manager. Smart, sincere and honest goes a long way in my book.

3. I could care less about being involved in the day-to-day operations of a fund I'm invested in. I don't care if the guy/gal drives an economy car or works from home. None of that matters. See point 2.

4. Risk adjusted returns. I would choose the fund that does 20% a year with 5% drawdown over a fund that does 100% with a 50% drawdown. Why? Robustness and consistency are more important. Managers who take less risk will survive longer.

5. A CPA audit is always nice to see.

Mike

#48     Oct 27, 2010
  9. i actually get money and pussy thrown at me unlike most dreamers.
    its quite simple.

when u have a lot of pssy around u . u get more pussy wanting to be around u
    i got lots of money around me. more money gets thrown at me.

u got no money. go work at burger king . wendys for triple shidts for capital
    nothig in the world will hep u.

=====

most of u are william hung. trying to hag out with 50 cent.
    u know who gets to hang out w 50? mayweathwer. #1 in the world.

money hangs out w money not broke fools.

#49     Oct 27, 2010
  10. Spot on!

#50     Oct 27, 2010