Getting Proper Sleep During The Trading Week?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by dsq, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Strength training works better for me in preparing for sleep than cardio, as it doesn't raise my heart rate as high and gives your body more reason to want to shut down and repair.

yeah get off the sleeping pills, they disrupt your brain wave patterns/REM cycles. So yeah, you'll be alseep, but it won't be the same.

Maybe try melatonin to reset your circadian rhythm, also, make sure you are sleeping in complete darkness with no noise. May want to get those blackout shades for people who sleep during the day. Works wonders for keeping out ambient neighborhood light.

You'd be amazed how much better you feel if you take some time to sharpen the saw (sleep).

#11     Dec 15, 2007
  2. heh heh yeah I hold overnight, and I swear to God at least 2-3 nights a week I have dreams about my trades. it's kinda funny and spooky at the same time. ha ha

#12     Dec 15, 2007
  3. Good suggestions. Also, eliminate caffeine, or don't take any after 12 noon.

#13     Dec 15, 2007
  4. That's a big one. even if you are attenuated to caffeine, trust me it will still mess with your sleep.

#14     Dec 15, 2007
  5. If you are thinking about trading when you should be sleeping then you must harbour doubts about what you are doing.

Therefore you need to address the cause of your anxiety. Putting Band-Aids on the outcome is not going to solve a thing.

regards
    f9

#15     Dec 15, 2007
  6. dsq

dsq

Thanks for all the great replies.Keep em coming.All suggestions welcomed.

I dont drink-hardly- or smoke....Also i dont drink coffee.
    I eat healthy- no junk or fast foods.I also avoid foods that are inconspicuously loaded with sugar like yogurt,orange juice,peanut butter etc...(ironically sugary foods make me drowsy but also make me non functional-this is a whole other subject but i quit sugary foods 2 yrs ago and i immediately required much less sleep and had more energy and didnt feel drowsy all day long ).

I think by nature i am an evening person...I would love to start trading at 9 30 like east coast folks but i love the west coast.

My body is different :eating before sleep actually makes me more tired and late day exercise keeps me up at night...I will try making sure i am properly hydrated but not too much...

Also this sleep problem doesnt exist on weekends...however i do still take a pill to ensure i will get a full 8+hrs so that i get my catch-up sleep on friday+saturday night...I have tried doing weekend without sleeping pills and my sleep pattern is all over the place.I cant relax.

I dont hold overnight positions-rarely.

During the trading week it is also very hard for me to catch naps despite being so tired.I will fall asllep for like 10mins and then wake up and psych myself into beleioving that i have had a great power nap...Wheni first started daytrading 8 months ago i could fall asleep during the trading hours.But now i dont want to miss a thing.

Last night i caught a rare nap from 6pm-730 pm...It felt so good At about 12 midnight i took my pill and fell asleep hard at 2 30 am.I woke up at 10 30 am and was elated that i had had 8 hrs sleep!!!Plus the 90m minute nap in the early evening!

I know this is stuff is all about psychology i wish i could train my mind to relax.

#16     Dec 15, 2007
  7. Yeah if it's an overactive mind causing this, as rc5781 mentioned earlier, I find running the best for that.

Strength training is good for wearing out your physical body, but running really relaxes my mind...it's like nervous pacing on steroids. ha ha

Good luck man, I have the same issues from time to time.

#17     Dec 15, 2007
  8. Cut out the sleeping pills.

you might have to wait a week before your body can get on a proper rhythm again, but a quick fix won't help you here bro.

#18     Dec 15, 2007
  9. X-11

X-11

Sleep 2x a day. You don't have to sleep once a day.

Sleep 5-6 hours pre-market and 2-4 hours right after the market.

You will get used to it. That way you will still have some nightlife.

I get a nap in before the kids get home from school. Works out great.

On the weekends sleep through.

What kind of sleeping pill are you taking?

#19     Dec 15, 2007
  10. Eddiefl

Eddiefl

Get a good girl, get laid often. exercise often. Like yourself. And know that nothing in trading or in your life really can ever be perfect.( for any length of time).

Incorporate all those in your life and I guarantee you will start sleeping better.

E.F.

#20     Dec 15, 2007