Getting Paid

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Menace, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Menace

Menace

Yep, that was my feeling.

I wonder why people are voting that they wouldn't have done the same, yet they are not explaining why??? (the percentage seems to have dropped though).

M.

#31     Aug 13, 2002
  2. Menace

Menace

Maybe a little, but you know how greed can play into things. And also, I REALLY wanted out of being a broker, and loved the idea of trading!

I think you should write a book. It sounds like an interesting story. Kind of like "The Firm".

I actually did write a memoir about it...it was sort of my therapy. It was only about 30 pages. Wish I still had it. It was saved in an old DOS format and I have it on a floppy, but I can't open it. I think I somehow did something to it on XTREE for DOS. Any computer geniuses out there to unscramble it?

M

#32     Aug 13, 2002
  3. Publias

Publias Guest

Just because somebody did not go your route and kept the nice cozy position does not neccessarily make him smarter, it does not even mean that he made the "right" move; for he could have lived 50 other lives and the move could have worked out in 49 of them :D Just like Tom Cruise could have easily been in a waiter in his other 49 lives...

Today my first play was a loss of 2ESpts, does not exactly mean it was the "wrong" play, for I am sure if I take the same set-up 100 more times it would have proved to be the "right" play!

PEACE and good trading Menace,
    Publias

#33     Aug 13, 2002
  4. Menace

Menace

:)Ever the philosopher!!! Publias, I am in agreement.

M.

#34     Aug 13, 2002
  5. Publias

Publias Guest

Wise man once said that 'fortune favors the bold', I tend to agree!

Besides Menace, maybe you are measuring "right move, wrong move" by the wrong standards... Are you a broker anymore??? If not, then maybe the move worked out in such a subtle way that your mind and ego simply cannot comprehend it???

PEACE -----> Publias

#35     Aug 13, 2002
  6. Menace

Menace

Nope, not a broker anymore. And I have not a single regret (other than not getting paid a lot of money). I learned a lot, and I got into real trading.

As for the rest of what you say....you are implying I have a simple mind?

Peace to you too my friend!

M

#36     Aug 13, 2002
  7. Publias

Publias Guest

Actually yes that was exactly what I was implying!

PEACE and good trading,
    Publias

#37     Aug 13, 2002
  8. Menace

Menace

Yes, well I thought so. Sorry that I have a simple mind. But as you know, you and I are not the only ones that are aware of this sad situation.

Humbly yours,

M

#38     Aug 13, 2002
  9. Menace

Menace

Well the poll is now up to 80% in favor of my move (or not totally against. Depends on the spouse I guess).

It is my contention that I made the right move. It is also my contention that anyone who voted #3 or#4 and would not have gone does not have the suitable disposition to be a trader.

I think one must be able and willing to take on risk. Even if the risk cannot be correctly calculated. Now, even having said this, could the risk I took be calculated in any way? I say yes. My risk seemed at the time to solely be in leaving my job, which I hated anyway.

The company in Chicago did give me moving expense money, and they paid the rent for me in Chicago. I did get paid my base salary, which was slightly less than I was making on average as a broker.

I did get the first quarterly bonus. It wasn't huge, but it was more than I ever had gotten paid in one lump sum up until that time.

Now did I come out ahead? No. I spent more than I made. I spent on going back and forth from Chicago to my home, I spent on my wife and baby coming to me. The apartment they paid for was ok, but it was also doubling as an office. When my family arrived I took an expensive apartment. I didn't have a car in Chicago, so I had a lot of cab fares. Sometimes limos. I had to shuttle back and forth between the Board of Trade and the Merc. And virtually every meal was at a restaurant. And my mortgage at my house didn't get put on hold. Etc., etc.

I got screwed out of my job, and out of my money in the end. But I would love to hear one person explain to me the reason they would not have taken the same chance.

And especially if that person trades for a living.

Any explanations? Where is the smart money on this? Will Fasterpussycat come through with a reason? Which "Basher" is going to step up to the plate?

Peace and Good Trading to All!
    M (an alias...but not Publias, I just like the peace and good trading thing)

#39     Aug 13, 2002
  10. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

Well, it sounds like you had a good deal: Hey not all risks end up to your advantage. However you've got to wonder whether your due diligence was enough - first of all anyone called "wildman" already sounds unstable and I would put them through a detailed background investigation before considering their offer.

I knew a guy in Chicago who worked for one of two brothers. He was called "stupid" and "dummy" by one of the brothers every day: It was demeaning. He eventually got a broker seat on the exchange. In his case working for a wildman eventually paid off - although most people would not have put up with the abuse.

#40     Aug 13, 2002