Getting into Wall Street

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by anoninnyc, May 30, 2013.

1. emg

emg

too bad you are not succesful. too bad. Go see don bright on how to become a successful MBA/Salesman

P.S Salesman makes more than trader. Successful salesmen/women are CEOs. All successful salesmen/women have to do is hire HFT traders and collect profit percentage. That is what MBA can do for u. MBA teaches grad people skilled/sales. sales is marketing. HR is sales, hiring the right people like HFT programers.

Sales Sales Sales

#41     Jun 6, 2013
  2. aknaya1

aknaya1

See I don't do any sales in my job. I manage inventory levels for a manufacturer. But maybe every now and then, I do have to sell my ideas to people. So I guess by your logic, I am actually truly a salesman in real life, not a supply chain manager, but a salesman!

#42     Jun 6, 2013
  3. emg

emg

janitor job. too bad u are not a business owner but working for someone over cheap pay. no wonder u want to become a trader or shall i say "small trader."

tell ya what, why don't u get your "MBA" degree and see if any institutional will take u in their trading floor as a non salesman. During the interview process, u will see many "HFT programmers with a strong math and computer science degrees competing for the same position. In the end, u will not get hire and back to "inventory level"

But, look at the bright side, perhaps MBA may help u startup business as inventory consultants. u will never know your business will grow and if that is the case, the success lies on

sales

#43     Jun 6, 2013
  4. Ok you seem way too dedicated to be a troll.

First off you're cherry picking developer and engineer roles, then using that as some kind of justification that a degree in mathematics or CS is somehow superior in finance.

There are plenty of l/s global macro shops that hire MBAs, not ever hedge fund does systematic quant trading. Also the buy-side isn't only limited to hedge funds. The sell-side is also littered with MBAs.

Now to be an execution monkey on either side, that neither requires a quantitative degree nor MBA to do. I know people with degrees in liberal arts who do this.

Furthermore, I have no idea what planet you're living on but HFT has really been shrinking lately. I think a lot of the larger guys are realizing that the technological risk is just too high. As such, I think in the near future HFT will only be limited to smaller hedge funds (my opinion of course).

#44     Jun 6, 2013
  5. aknaya1

aknaya1

Janitor job pays very well. I consider trading a secondary business, and although it took me years to learn, it goes very well. Today was fantastic--long the Euro!

How bout this? I show my TRACK RECORD, and see what they have to say? Except I dont want to do that. I like it as a secondary business.

#45     Jun 6, 2013
  6. I would reccomend a law degree to someone who wants to start/ run a business. MBA is a waste of time for anyone other than lower/middle management in an established corp. surf

#46     Jun 6, 2013
  7. aknaya1

aknaya1

Here's another bright side: management roles get paid pretty well in some companies, especially when you get stock options and the stock market is up a gazillion percent!
    Technically and analytically, what I do now is easier than what I did as a chemical engineer, although it can get complex when you deal with hundreds of products and parts and such. But the bottom line is I get paid a lot more cause I'm in management.

#47     Jun 6, 2013
  8. anoninnyc

anoninnyc

Hi All,
    OP here.
    Thanks for the responses thus far.
    My understanding is that, in order to get into Wall Street, and ultimately into hedge funds, I would have to do one of the following:

1. Get an MBA from a top 15 B-school, OR
    2. Get an MS degree in Finance or Financial Engineering.

Does this sound accurate?

Thanks!,
    OP

#48     Jun 6, 2013
  9. Thank you for proving to me what I knew deep down: managers do nothing and spend all day surfing the internet. :D :D

#49     Jun 6, 2013
  10. aknaya1

aknaya1

LOL yeah, I can do my regular job in 2-3 hours a day. I do my trading in one hour a day, in the morning, and then that is done too. I probably need a more challenging regular job, could try to move up to a director role I guess....

#50     Jun 6, 2013